April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anybody has been looking for something like this, there single-barrel 4 bore percussion gun for sale in UK on Gunstar:
https://www.gunstar.co.uk/e-m-reilly-co-fowling-piece-4-bore-gauge-muzzleloader/Shotguns/1352767

The gentleman selling it says it has no serial number and "E.M. Reilly & Co." on the hammers. There is not a lot of detail in the ad but he is responsive to messages.

I commented that with the name "E.M. Reilly & Co.," the percussion-gun would be post April 1859. With no SN it was probably made in Birmingham and Reilly engraved and retailed it. The price is £800. No certificate needed. I assume you could just put it in the mail, or in your luggage. I thing Richard, the seller, is looking to post some photos. I for one would like to see what kind of barrels are on it. 12 lbs plus....41" barrel.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/02/21 05:01 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

do hit cum wid wheels an ah lan yard

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a couple of very early Reilly 6 bores in my database including this one from about 1855

=========================================================
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/REILLY-LONDON/22392022/LotDetail.asp?lid=22392022
£3,600.00 sold
A GOOD 6-BORE PERCUSSION SINGLE-BARRELLED FOWLING-PIECE, serial no. 10315,
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Terry Buffum sold this Reilly 8 bore:
================================================================
1850’s
https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/18/lot/6858?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch%3Fkey%3Dreilly
About 8 ga., 37 1/2” round barrel with a lightly oxidized bore. The barrel is a soft plum brown patina showing only remnants of its damascus pattern, with light oxidation and some sparsely scattered pitting as well. There is a simple brass bead front sight and remnants of an interesting rear bead sight as well, with remnants of the makers name near breech of barrel. The breech plug shows some light engraving as does the long tang, both are a dull pewter gray patina. The lockplate and hammer show the same nice quality loose open flowing scroll, the lockplate maker marked “E M Reilly & Co”.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/02/21 07:24 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44,

"I assume you could just put it in the mail, or in your luggage."

I claim no expertise in British firearm laws but I believe both the options you mentioned are illegal.

Perhaps Toby Barclay can join the conversation.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll post some pictures Richard sent me...condition is indeed not so good. Stock looks to have red paint on it...can't tell what wood is under there. No pics of the proof marks. The brass around the tip of the forearm looks odd. Side plates and hammers are rough. Barrel starts out as an Octagon and after a couple inches transitions to circular...usually they'll transition to a hexagon then circular. Still it's a 4 bore with a 41" barrel.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/03/21 03:28 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There would be no restrictions as to purchase and own here in the U.K. Only thing is that if intended for use (perfectly legal for wildfowl shooting) it would need inclusion on a shotgun certificate. The only restricted persons would be certain ones who have served a certain length of imprisonment; I think it's 3 years and that is only a fairly recent restriction. Lagopus.....

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

All true but I will add that you will not be able to use the post, Royal mail will no longer carry antique firearms internationally. Fedex will happily deliver it to your nearest International Airport where you will need to clear it through Customs in order to collect it.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve, but the gun is pre 1898. Customs doesn't care about that...at least it didn't when I put an 1850's home-made SxS in my luggage in Pakistan and brought it back. Anyway, I'll let the owner know. I think it is a "project gun" and can be restored but who knows. He said it is so heavy it is difficult to carry....wonder if it were a punt gun of some sort.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually if used as a punt gun as well they normally have a hole in the stock for a breeching rope. Looks like a shoulder gun. Surprisingly they are not as unwieldy as you would think as most shots are taken on the near vertical. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44
Recently, I had a barrel and a stock for a pinfire made in 1865 that
a well known gun maker in England couldn't send me. Royal Mail
wouldn't touch it. Had an experience with US Customs in Sacramento.
They wanted proof it was an antique. As it was a percussion gun, no
proof should have been necessary. Always assume that Customs agents
don't understand US firearms law - and you will never be wrong.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.