March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#602861 09/14/21 02:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

“sportsmen are the conservationists, while animal rights activist groups are pretenders.”

We’ve known this all along but now the facts. And in Forbes, no less.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisd...hts-vs-hunters-who-really-helps-animals/

Speude Bradeos
4 members like this: ChiefAmungum, spring, HomelessjOe, Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some people simply take longer to wake up than others. We've known that for the most part, animal rights types (and basically all "non-consumptive" users --"consumptive" being their description of hunters, anglers, and trappers) are freeloaders. Meanwhile, we pay for conservation via our license fees. We pay again via the hidden tax on firearms and ammunition which gets parceled out to the states to spend on conservation based on license sales. And we pay by supporting hunting, angling, and general conservation groups that support REAL conservation efforts rather than "animal rights".

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen the fallout of animal rights fanaticism in the course of doing conservation in Africa. The short version: they are concerned only with the individual animal and being nice to it. They have no concept of or interest in populations, species, ecosystems, or landscapes; they care only that no white guy with a gun is ever mean to an animal. They say nothing as the last remnants of African wildlife are being snared and poisoned to near extinction – nice people wouldn’t dream of noticing when indigenous people destroy wildlife indiscriminately or overgrazing turns vast ecosystems into rock desert. They are clueless about the reality of wild animals’ lives and got their education in wildlife biology from watching Bambi; wild animals should have the same life as their dear little Fluffy.

And if you dare say anything about hunting as a conservation tool, something obvious to virtually everyone who does conservation in Africa, they do their best to destroy you. Sadly, wealthy American and British animal rights groups have controlled wildlife policy in Kenya for decades, standing quietly by during an 80% collapse in wildlife numbers since the 1977 hunting ban. They are gaining influence in other countries.

For a very readable account, see Glen Martin’s Game Changer: Animal Rights and the Future of Africa’s Wildlife.

3 members like this: ChiefAmungum, spring, HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fed 99 times the number of birds I have harvested. Have spent tens of thousand in an attempt to restore quail population on my land only to have DNR ruin almost 20 years of work in less than two years. Today where ten plus coveys once were, now in a good year you might find one or two. I’ve had neighbors call the game wardens when I was hunting on my farm. They did not like the shooting nearby, half a mile nearby. I’ve never met a “Ecologist” who spent their own money or time and labor to improve wildlife. They always want to spend others.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, please don't confuse ecologists with armchair animal lovers or preservationists. Plenty who own land spend their money and labor improving it for wildlife and habitat restoration in the tradition of Aldo Leopold and his classic Sand County Almanac.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might be commenting about identity politics, and the same courtesy will not be returned to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the self called ecologist I have had to deal with have been of the PETA type not those who are science based. Far more of them than the real ones. As to PETA I won’t use the language I’d like to here to describe their actions. But self appointed experts are too often self educated with misleading information or biased views.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals.
Karl

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, glad to hear that you are referring to PETA nutcases; see my long comment above about that ilk. Animal rights activists calling themselves ecologists and conservationists is like me calling myself a brain surgeon.

Craig, I don't understand your comment. We are talking about professional ecologists vs. animal rights fanatics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
And if you dare say anything about hunting as a conservation tool, something obvious to virtually everyone who does conservation in Africa, they do their best to destroy you.

Would you say the same thing about the contrarians who attempt to educate the masses about the many falsehoods told to us in order to advance the prevailing dogma concerning climate change???

I didn't think so. I suppose you could say my comment has nothing to do with doubles, like so much which is posted here. But if the Liberal Left Climate Nazi's get their way, our lowered standard of living will affect our ability to afford fine guns, shooting, and hunting trips.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.