April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 146 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bellasm Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thinking about making the switch to Clenzoil as a final wipe oil. I was wondering if it is compatible with lacquer? I have all of my case colored guns protected with lacquer and do not want to have an issue with the Clenzoil breaking it down. Any experience or thoughts? I contacted Clenzoil with the same question but have not heard back yet. Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seriously doubt if Clenzoil contains any solvents "hot" enough to lift or dissolve lacquer. I have used Clenzoil in the past and don't recall any strong solvent smells like toluene or MEK. While that is certainly not definitive proof, the smell test is commonly used in organic chemistry labs as a starting point for identifying unknown samples. At least it was when I was tasked with identifying unknowns in college organic chem lab classes.

If you do not get a reply from the manufacturer, you could Google search the MSDS. And you could also just spray a coat of the lacquer you use on a scrap piece of steel, let it set for a week or so, and then apply a healthy dose of Clenzoil to see if the lacquer begins to soften or lift. If it won't damage a fully hardened fresh coat, it is very unlikely to damage an old coat.

However, from reading a number of tests over the years to determine which gun oils provide the best protection, I do not recall any where Clenzoil was ever near the top of the heap. I found it OK for general use, but then again, I was not exposing my guns to weeks of continual salt spray and rain on the Alaska Peninsula either. What you should choose depends upon whether you are after long term storage, general rust prevention and lubrication, extreme conditions, etc.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No issues in my too many years of experience with Clensoil.

bellasm Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith and Walter, thank you for the replies. I believe Clenzoil might be the best option for me as just about all of my guns are restored and I do not want to have to worry about getting the oil on lacquer or wood and having any issues. As far as protecting metal alone I probably would use Eezox but, I do not want to have to worry about getting it on finished surfaces. Any other replies are greatly welcome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Clenzoil for many years with very good results for the entire gun. The slightly heavier viscosity seems to provide better protection on the metal surfaces.
Karl

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.