March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by spring
On November 5th I’ll be hosting, along with the State’s top quail biologists, a Field Day on how to manage for Gentleman Bob, with details on much of the process. The State will be bringing in a tram from Ichauway Plantation as we carry people around to learn about things.

That sounds like a day I'd like to take in. We'll see what the weather brings. If the weather won't allow us to pick peanuts or cotton that day I might just leave here early and drive down for it. Thanks for the heads up.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 67galaxie
Nice! Maybe he will mix in some seed in the deer plots for them

Keith, he only plants wheat and oats in his plots, but after the season I leave them and let them head out and go to seed. It becomes a great place for the birds to forage and raise chicks. It's not harrowed under until September of the following year.

This is one of those plots, I named The Smokehouse...........because you can get meat there anytime. And, there's almost always a covey hanging out within a hundred yards or so of it.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quail Forever will be advertising and handling sign-ups for attendees. Dallas Ingram, the State’s quail biologist, sent me an email a couple of days ago with an update. I’m pretty sure they’ll end up having a lunch for attendees.
It should be an interesting morning as they’ll be focusing on about 5 topics, such as spraying, discing, my feed program, hardwood management, and who knows what all.
I believe they’re planning to cap attendance at 30 people.
Come if you can!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Though most of y’all live east of me we have an outstanding quail research project here in Texas. Dale Rollins , recently retired, has been the brains behind it and a colorful character. He is known to many of us as Mr Quail. Here is the link (full of great quail information) to the Rolling Plains Research Foundation:

https://www.quailresearch.org/

For what it’s worth, right now the upcoming quail season prospects in much of Texas appear to be poor to a little better. South Texas might be good to excellent. Big state!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Dr Dale on Quail" is awesome. I listen to all of his podcasts and remain amazed at how he can make almost every quail sound with his mouth. West Texas quail properties are mighty lucky to have him among their resources.

Dr Dale Rollins making quail sounds

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever have merged, the organization is focusing more on bobs. I remember attending a state PF meeting several years ago that included an excellent presentation on quail. One of the PF guys in Nebraska bought a small farm, I think maybe 160 acres. There were 2 coveys on the farm. By taking advantage of every PF, state, and federal conservation program available, he increased that to 10 coveys.

Compared to pheasant habitat work, doing the same for quail isn't as easy. I'll never forget one remark the presenter made: "Good pheasant habitat is not necessarily good quail habitat. But good quail habitat is always good pheasant habitat."

When the Conservation Reserve Program began in 1985, we still had fairly decent quail numbers in southern Iowa. Basically, the bottom two tiers of counties. Lots of small fields, brushy edges, etc. A fair amount of timber and pastures. CRP resulted in increased pheasant numbers as small corn and soybean fields were replaced with grass. But it didn't work out so well for quail. In some places, you had to do some looking to find any of those small crop fields. And eventually, pheasant numbers took a nose dive as well. A whole lot of tall grass, pasture, and timber. Not nearly as much corn and soybeans.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dale Rollins is a good friend of mel1541, as I understand it, one of our no-nonsense TX members of this forum. His abilities to replicate quail's calls with his mouth alone are truly amazing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
Nice! Maybe he will mix in some seed in the deer plots for them

Keith, he only plants wheat and oats in his plots, but after the season I leave them and let them head out and go to seed. It becomes a great place for the birds to forage and raise chicks. It's not harrowed under until September of the following year.

This is one of those plots, I named The Smokehouse...........because you can get meat there anytime. And, there's almost always a covey hanging out within a hundred yards or so of it.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Food plots like this are a predator's buffet

Sidelock
Sidelock

We were out walking on a State sponsored trail that wandered through and around all that remains of undeveloped land here, a 100 acre defunct turkey farm, when I heard that whistle, Bob White: Could not believe my ears as I have not heard that for forty years or so. I called the DEC and asked if there had released birds, they had not, but noted that birds had escaped from several private preserves in East-central LI and had been heard along a green corridor connecting undeveloped County and State parks. I keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by susjwp; 09/27/21 08:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a small farm on the Maryland eastern shore. I am managing it for wildlife and am particularly interested in bobwhite quail. Since converting the former farm fields to meadow and encouraging native plants that support quail we have wild birds reproducing on our land. There are more quail on the shore than most people realize but not in numbers that support hunting. The MD DNR seems to be stuck in a time warp as their quail season and limit haven't changed since the 70s. I did ask the local extension agent for some guidance in planting native plants for quail but only received a flyer about generic wildlife planting. Not helpful at all. So I will continue to plod along and try and keep the quail supported. They have it pretty rough between the predators and the intense farming practices.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.