March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dan R, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele), 321 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Bob, that Heiser satchel case is pretty nice. Not very common.

Here's a pretty neat gun case I have.

I got the gun without a case about 8 years ago.

The gun is a H & H 12 gauge hammer gun with straight grip and 30 inch nitro steel barrels. Gun is serial numbered 21796.

I got the empty case a couple years ago here in the classified's. And luckily, made for a H&H straight grip hammer gun with 30 inch barrels. Case is for gun serial numbered earlier, 10501.

Perfect fit and they look great together.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[b][/b]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Damascus and Lond;

You gentlemen gave me enough information to search the web and find the story of this horse racing and lovers scandal (if indeed, this is the "Victorian scandal you speak of). You cannot make such an episode up even if you were a Hemmingway or a Tennessee Williams.

I do not know how many USA dollars today would be equal to the loss of UK Pounds 100,000 at a horse race in that day, but it would be millions.

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 09/27/21 09:34 AM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

And Stephen this is why it's not good for your parents to be brother and sister.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lond you are quite correct I was talking about the guns owner Henry Chaplin as he was then. I did a lot of research about the 1867 Derby held on May 22nd in a large hail storm, with the odds of 1000 to fifteen approximately 66 to 1 against Hermit winning which he did. As far as can be ascertained the betting was as follows :- Hastings £120.000 against hermit winning today about three Million. Henry Chaplin bet for the hermit to win £100 . 000 today about 2 . 85 Million. I found not all of the information was on the net I had to search a lot of newspapers and archives here and abroad. I have posted some pictures of the main characters in the saga and Hermit. At the start of my research I was set very much against against Hastings but then softened because of that very old quote "all is fair in love and war" and his final words before he died "Hermit broke my heart but I did not let it show did I?"

Hastings

Florence Paget known as the "Pocket Venus"

Hastings and new wife at home

Hermit oil painting

I think those trousers where a fashion item in the 1850 s, also the newspaper photos are rather poor I did not realized until after I posted please put it down to eye site problem. I do wish this site would get with the current times and do its own image hosting.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Purdey double case is way too heavy to be practical and was made for a pair of his and her 28" guns. It is a very elegant case, and in high condition. I purchased this case, which held a pair of new Model 21s, 12 and 20, for $1000 in 1965. I thought it was a reasonable buy, even in 1965. The seller placed an ad in the Washington Post classifieds, and my dad and I drove about 20 miles to look at the guns. We had them home about three hours after we read the ad. I guess this is my favorite case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like cases and holsters made be Heiser in CO. hands down top shelf goods-from another era.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A most curious mahogany case, full of original accessories. The top gun is a Joseph Manton with it's original barrels. The lower gun is by John Krider, made to fit the Manton barrels. It is difficult to figure out why two sets of stocks and receivers and one set of barrels which perfectly fit each receiver. The case contained Krider sourced accessories including a powder flask marked with the name of a Mr. Duncan and dated in the late 1870s as I recall. The case is also marked in brass with Mr. Duncan's name.

The Krider made stocks and locks

The Manton stock and locks

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/27/21 01:27 PM.
1 member likes this: LeFusil
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
It’s pretty obvious Mr. Krider knew what he was doing! Wow. It’s probably sacrilege to say this….but I prefer the Krider work to the Manton work on this gun! 😳. What a fantastic gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too, Dustin. The hammers are more elegant, the lock plate follows form of the panel beneath, rather than vice versa, the wrist checkering is finely done (I'd like to see all of it!), and the shape of the trigger guard is also much more elegant, IMHO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Manton stock and lock is very nice for its time, but the Krider addition is near new condition, even at near 150 years old.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/27/21 10:00 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.