March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For your reading pleasure, I thought you might enjoy the sordid tale of a gentleman that found many of the fruits of excess and ultimately the consequences they accumulated.

A paragraph from his biography gives the essence of the man: '...the trustees heard that his French mistress had given birth to his child at a racecourse in France; that he had formed an inappropriate attachment to a Gaiety Girl; that he spent money he didn't have and drove, at manic speed, cars he couldn't afford. He had bought fifteen monkeys, a score of snakes; he was living at the Buckingham Palace Hotel, then in a flat in Baron's Court. He was leading a convoy of three Rolls Royces across England, en-route for Scotland and Ireland and had been obliged to resign his commission in the Irish Guards...Most of this was true'.

Quite a character, it seems.

We've all heard the axiom that the first generation makes it, the second enjoys it, and 3rd blows it. Know of anyone with a similar tale?

From The Vintage Gun Journal: "Bankrupt Order canceled!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a brother like that, marvelously able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The way I heard the axiom was "Overalls to overalls in two generations."

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
1 member likes this: spring
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

15 monkeys? Women, booze, parties, cars, monkeys, guns, etc.--the rest he just pissed away...Gil

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have friends from childhood that were born retired.

The grandparents, or the parents, made it big with a chain of women’s clothing stores, worked hard, and saved their money.

Of the three children, the oldest daughter is a slave driver just like the dad, the middle daughter lives off her stipend, And the son, one of my oldest acquaintances, has been a hot mess since grade school.

I live in an area where living costs are low.

There are lots of people who win the lottery, get insurance settlements, get inheritances, and then just evaporate them.

My own children will be modest trustafarians when I die.

I’d like to think my grandchildren, (however many there turn out to be), will be the primary beneficiaries.

Trans generational capital transfer is always a, “hope for the best, but plan for the worst, endeavor”.

But when you are dead, you are dead. It’s all someone else’s problem.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fifteen Monkeys! Surely a dozen is more than enough. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

The progressives are working overtime to relieve us of the burden and headache of

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Trans generational capital transfer...

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hang on, let me get a tissue to wipe the tears from my eyes for the poor downtrodden billionaires.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Hang on, let me get a tissue to wipe the tears from my eyes for the poor downtrodden billionaires.

AOC’s dress should have read “pay your taxes”

Sidelock
Sidelock

Farmer next door died and left everything to his only son. That boy was worthless riding or walking but knew how to have a good time. We are talking several million dollars in 1959 money. All but a very tiny bit tied up in cropland and timber. Any cash on hand must have been spent in less than a year because after that point in time he started selling off timber, land and then the farmland. His father owned more property than anyone else in the county so it lasted years. I think the last was sold off in the early 1980's, call it about a 25 year period. In the end he was broke, body worn out from years of drinking, heavy smoking and other stuff shall we say. I doubt he died with a spare pack of cigarettes but he did party for nearly three decades.

In 1964 he came to see my father about selling his home farm to him. We had been tending the farm since his father died and knew it well. Drove up in a new Mercury convertible, with a blond and brunette on the front seat. Said he was "looking for a good redhead". The things which go over your head as a kid. Anyways, he wanted $125,000.00 for the farm and timber. Claimed he had the timber cruised for more than that. He needed the money fast because he was headed to Florida for the winter and had a hot business deal down there he want to get into. They dickered over the price for about ten minutes and settled at 110K. Went into town and started the paperwork. Sealed the deal later that week. Sold the timber off in a couple years, to pay off the mortgage and had enough left over to build four new chicken houses and buy a new John Deere combine. Land is part of the main farm still, timber should be cut again soon if the price is good and I can figure out how to delay the taxes until Hell freezes over. I have wondered over the years if he ever found that redhead?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What good is it if you can't spend it?

I myself intend to die penniless.

Lord Eddie sounds like a perfect role model.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.