March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is all a sales pitch to sell those over priced £200 or £250 lumps of wood to the man who has everything except common sense. Of course he did not say that some people do like a gun to be slightly barrel heavy and others prefer slightly stock heavy it is all a matter of what is right for the individual. I have found that if the action weight is somewhere central when your hand is in the correct shooting position on the fore end with the other holding the correct place on the grip area is good enough for me. My balancing pivot is a piece of dowel held in a bench vice costing more or less nothing. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Interesting comments, wonder how many here has shot a well made English Best?"

I have, lots of them, and also Italian, French, Spanish, Belgian and German high end guns. The best feel in the hands I have come across is in English medium to high quality SINGLE barrel guns from makers like Lang, Midland, and others.

I carried out an experiment one day in a shop that has hundreds of high end guns. After clients mounted best doubles I put the Lang single in their hands. Everyone was impressed with the feel, but no one was willing to forego the second shot.

Something similar happened with the Beretta 304 which is three shot 2 3/4 chambered. It is one of the best handling autos, but it was outsold 5 to 1 by the Beretta 390 with its 4 shot capacity and magnum chamber. The 390 handles like a brick but provides more firepower and that seems to count.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, I have a Tolley single barrel 12 ga that feels fantastic in the hands. The only gun in my safe that feels better in my hands is the Lindner Daly 20 gauge I picked up last winter. But with a loose forend lug I’ve not shot the Daly 20 yet…..it’s waiting for it’s appointment with CJO. So I can’t tell yet how I shoot it. But I’ll note I also have a short barreled 12 ga Purdey and it feels just okay. But I hit with it.

IIRC member GLS has a couple English single barrel game guns. Since I bought my Tolley about 10 years ago, I’m always on the lookout for another but they are as rare as the proverbial hens teeth up here.

Last edited by canvasback; 10/09/21 07:05 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I fancy a nice English single barrel, myself, but haven't begun the search for one yet. I recall great pictures on here of geese taken by Terry Lubzinski with his beautiful single barrel fowlers. I miss Terry and his photographs. Anyone heard from him? I see he hasn't been on this forum since March past.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
The 390 handles like a brick but provides more firepower and that seems to count.

They got it pretty much right with the 391. Then of course people started hanging weights all over them.

The 20 gauge Superposed is known to handle well. I nominate a variant thereof as the gun with the best dynamics I've experienced.

The 30" 20ga. Citori XS 'sport' is near to perfect, at least for me, at exactly 7 pounds. If I could put a Krieghoff trigger on that one it would be my ultimate shotgun.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I wonder, you think a balanced gun makes you shoot better? If you shoot poorly with a Fox Sterlingworth then I would think you would shoot poorly with a Boss. I think a well balanced gun in the hands make the gun feel almost as it is not in your hands.
Shooting poorly is the result of lots of things, poor gun mount, poor gun fit, bad habits in shooting. When you purchased a gun from Purdey or Boss they first did the gun fitting, built the gun and made sure it was properly balanced. Then you left the shop and what results you may of had was a result of yourself.
Are we all thinking about this the same way?

Mike Proctor
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Differing balance for differing disciplines? I like an upland gun to be much livelier than a gun for dedicated target shooting.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most shooters who can't hit anything with a poorly balanced gun suffer from a common problem. They have not yet learned to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it is developing muscle memory with a gun that you shoot well and feel comfortable with. I have several like that and for that reason agree with John E's advice and will never part with them.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

"they have not yet learned to shoot", very true but not through a fault of their own.

Shotgun shooting instruction lags behind other sport teaching. The approach that is the most frequently applied is to teach the basics of safety, get the pupil on the stand and let him have a go at full speed clays. The cycling equivalent would be to put someone on a racing bike and let him have his first try in traffic.

If instructors approached shooting in the way that cycling is taught to adult non cyclists, ie start with a balance bike, which lets the pupil discover equilibrium, then move on to slow riding pedal bikes, etc, in other words a layered gradual teaching method, then we would see positive results.

I am convinced that instruction deficiency is partly responsible for the failure to attract new shooters.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.