March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dukxdog, Ian Forrester, Perry M. Kissam, Roundsworth, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#604382 10/09/21 11:39 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know of a laser engraving service?

Googling turned up the usual disconnect. What we gun people mean by the word engraving is not what computerists and techno people understand by the same word.

What is sought is something that turns up work like that seen on Boxall and Edmiston doubles:

https://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/gun-room/engraving-styles

Obviously the ideal would be totally hand cut engraving, but sometimes the value of the candidate gun does not jutify the 50 Euro per hour fee charged these days. A friend's 150 Euro Greener GP is the likely candidate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a company that does does laser engraving on guns in US. Winchester used these guys on their commemorative guns. The name escapes me at the moment but I do know the company name started with a B. I checked into them many years ago. Maybe it will come to me. If so I will relay.

John Boyd
Houston, TX

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

THank you Arrieta, it would be helpful to have a name to start with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone have experience with Seattle Engraving in Florida?

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I am old school, but laser engraving is a contradiction. It may be ornamentation, sure it looks good, but engraving is done manually, and is an artistic skill. There is no inherent value other than the cost, there is no artistic value save what it costs. It really is just another choice.

A Belgian Browning Dianna grade gun is worth a lot more than a grade I because it has fancier wood and checkering, and a well done engraving pattern, done by hand.

If you want to have your name on your gun, so ahead. If you were to be gifting a gun to a valued employee or friend, I'd have it engraved by hand.

Remember, I told you I was old school

Dennis Potter
5 members like this: Ghostrider, susjwp, SKB, Stanton Hillis, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old school is good.

1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you read the information about Boxall & Edminston laser engraving provided in the link in the original post, it sounds like the laser process is merely used to enhance the scroll. If that is the case, then there would still be costly hand work done.

I generally agree with what Dennis Potter says. But while I have been blown away by hand cut engraving so beautiful, intricate, and detailed that it seems as if Divine intervention was behind the enravers hand, I have to acknowledge that there is also some really bad hand engraving done too. There are plenty of guns that would look better without any engraving at all. In addition, I haven't seen any laser engraving that doesn't appear soulless. I actually find a lot of the acid etched scroll and game scenes on vintage guns more attractive, probably because there was still considerable hand work and artistic talent involved.

I don't know if technology will ever reach the point where a CNC controlled laser can exactly duplicate really good hand engraving. But if it does, we have to wonder whether that would take away the incentive for individuals to take up the craft, and it will then become a lost art.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes, you are correct. Old school is good and it is classic and it is right. 50 Euro is inexpensive.

1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fifty Euro per hour. A border around the Greener receiver is likely to take 8 hours of work. Full coverage is going to be lots more hours.

No denying that cut engraving is the better choice. But the laser work displayed by Boxall and Edmiston is impressive. Especially if it is going to be a simple border on a cheap single barrel.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes, I am speaking of 50 euro and hour being inexpensive.

How much did you pay for your last pick up truck?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.