March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 295 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#604806 10/19/21 01:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a Browning Express before last deer season. It may sound silly but I wanted to kill an adult whitetail buck, 8-point or better, with each barrel before shooting does or smaller "meat" bucks. The gun had a Leupold 1.5-5x on it when I got it but it proved to have a little bit of a personality flaw...the over barrel shoots 4" higher at 100 yards than the under barrel when shooting 150 grain Core-lokt. The windage difference are negligible. I could stomach 2" higher from the over barrel (actually hoped for it) but 4" was too much. I solved the problem but finding a 180 grain bullet (Nosler ballistic tip) for the over barrel that prints within an inch of the Remingtons from the under barrel. At first, I didn't like having to keep track of separate ammo but quickly became fond of the idea. The green ballistic tip compared to the lead-nose Remingtons made it pretty easy to make sure the right ammo got into the right barrel but I also hit the bottom of the 180s with a black sharpie so I can tell by just cracking the gun open. The different bullet weights allow for a first-shot selection of either a 180 or 150 grain that might better fit the situation. I've hunted with double shotguns since 1985 so, even though I gave up on having different shot sizes in each barrel, I'm always keenly aware of which choke is in each barrel. I've found keeping up with the bullets in the rifle is no different of a mental exercise.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know it sounds made-up but, the first time I pulled the trigger on a game animal, the Remington in the under barrel was a dud. I cycled the safety to switch the inertia trigger to the over barrel and dropped the "Over" deer in his tracks with the 180 grain Nosler BTs. I have a thread in this forum last year called "the Over Deer" but I had to wait for this season to finally get the Under deer.

Of course, I spent a little time in the off season figuring out a replacement for the Remingtons. That was the last core-lokt that I'll ever shoot at an animal and by last I don't mean "most recent". I mean "never again". I was so pleased with the performance of the Nosler bullet that I decided to put a 150 grain Nosler Accubond in the under barrel for this deer season. Nosler doesn't load a 150 grain Accubond in the .30-06 but Federal does in their Premium line...what's better is that the Federal Premiums are loaded in a nickel-plated brass so not only are the tips different colors, the cases are different colors. I took a pair of shots, one with the Accubond in the under barrel and one with the ballistic tip in the over barrel...at 100 yards with a red bulleye the size of my thumbprint the two barrels are as tight as I could have ever hoped. I was ready for this season.

I held off of a dozen "basket rack" 8's earlier in the season but finally got a chance at what I think is a 3½ year old eight-point. The Accubond on the high shoulder dropped him but he was still trying to push himself with his back legs. The biggest advantages of a double are redundancy and a quick follow-up so I opted to put a quick second shot in him as I mentally prepare for what I hope will be an African Plains Game trip next year.

1 member likes this: Dave Weber
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a German made ( inter war, probably by Merkel) Manton of Calcutta double side by side BLNE which had been later fitted with a low power Khales scope.

It shot well, both barrels, with RWS and Seller and Belliot 196 grain 8x57 JR factory loads and the barrels shot sufficiently close together for stalking purposes.

Some of the RWS was Boxer primed, and some earlier but non-corrosive was Berdan primed.

I realised when comparing relative Right and Left points of impact that if I loaded RWS Berdan in the Right barrel and Boxer in the Left that the groups should exactly superimpose.

I tried that, and it worked, producing the best R&L 6 shot groups at 100 yards I have shot with a Double, which would have been more than respectable from a bolt action stalking rifle.

The primers were different colours, so it was easy to keep track, and I kept them at opposite ends of my ammo pouch. Had I got muddled they would still have shot sufficiently close for all practical purposes.

Using that system I did get a “right and left” ( all right they weren’t both “ dead in the air” at the same moment- I wouldn’t shoot the second until I was sure the first one was down) at Roe deer at over 200 yards.

I shouldn’t have sold it!

Last edited by Parabola; 10/23/21 03:46 AM. Reason: Correction
Sidelock
Sidelock

]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the group that I was referring to.

The low power 2.5 Kahles scope had a flat topped tapered post that was slightly narrower than the 5 inch black square on the target.

I suspect that the slight vertical stringing was caused by my not taking the exact same amount of white between the top of the post and 6 o’clock on the black and that on L1 I let it touch the black.

Last edited by Parabola; 10/22/21 03:17 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's phenomenal.

Here's my preseason pair...the under barrel was lower right and the upper barrel was upper left...I'm shooting a 1.5-5x scope at 100 yards so the gun's more accurate than I am.

2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Parabola

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.