March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Would anyone happen to know what the letters J.A might stand for on this Birmingham Shotgun barrel? I have came across this J.A marking on several vintage Birmingham shotgun barrels, and was wondering if the letters are possibly initials representing either the barrel maker or an inspector's mark?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the mark of the highly thought of barrel borer Joseph Asbury who worked from 11 Weaman Row in Birmingham and Lench Street, Birmingham. This was first brought to my attention by lagopus regarding a gun I own. Gil
http://www.shotguns.se/html/uk_trademarks.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there a list anywhere of other barrel maker's initials? I have a few I would like to identify.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gil. That was very helpful indeed.

Dan, post some barrel pictures showing the initials. Maybe someone will recognize the barrel maker.

Thanks.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to add a bit more. Asbury was working for Joseph Curry, a Gunmaker to the Trade just off Whittall Street in Birmingham so a good chance it started off life in Curry's workshop.

Dan, sadly a lot of the information on barrel marks has been lost in time with old Gunmakers and Gunsmiths going to a different 'workshop'. I was told a few by an Oldtimer. Such a source of comprehensive information would be a treasure indeed. Lagopus.....

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

The initials are T.R. and the gun was made by Holloway in around 1908. I will have to get a picture of the actual mark later, but here is the flats and action:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the barrel marking - it is very small in the middle of the rib:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the letter 'H' preceding the serial number usually indicates a Holloway gun. T.R. is a bit of a mystery at the moment. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
Just to add a bit more. Asbury was working for Joseph Curry, a Gunmaker to the Trade just off Whittall Street in Birmingham so a good chance it started off life in Curry's workshop. Lagopus.....

Thanks Lagopus. Great information. I appreciate your help.

Here is a Clabrough & Johnstone shotgun dated circa 1925, however it has no date stamp. This shotgun would have been made after the company's amalgamation with Hollis, Bentley & Playfair, and during the time when they were both sharing the same Birmingham business premises. The shotgun barrel is marked with the initials W L. Would anyone happen to know who this barrel maker might have been? Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.