April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, bushveld, 4 invisible), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

One of the things that found it's way home with me this year was a 1903 chambered in .308 Norma Magnum. It's yet another sporterized "custom" from either the 60s or the 70s (judging from the stock shape and the chambering) that my father-in-law used for many years on deer, elk, and even antelope. My 17-year old asked for it on this last trip and Grandma acquiesced. It's nothing as nice as the earlier 1903s posted here and has seen fairly hard use but... my boy shot it very effectively last week (using ancient factory Norma ammo) and he's got big plans for it. Brass, dies and loading data got dispersed with Grampa's other reloading supplies before I could review them so we're probably on our own own here when it comes time to work up a load for it. It weighs a ton (8-9 lbs) and is stocked for a right-hander which is a mild complication since my boy shoots left (left-eye dominant) but he seemed to adapt readily when he fired it. He has elk tags for December here so...time is somewhat short for all that. Any insights or concerns here for using this old warhorse? Anybody have any .308 Norma Mag dies laying around?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No marking on the rifle other than this and the chambering. Ever heard of a Landgren(?), Landopen(?) custom rifle maker? Not very impressive other than it works very well. History on rifle is that it came from near Chisum, Minnesota in the 1980s.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/28/21 01:57 PM.
2 members like this: Parabola, Mike McD
Sidelock
Sidelock

A rifle from that date would probably be a 308 Norma, the 300 Norma is a later dated cartridge and they are different. Only a guess however.

Member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a fellow southpaw can I suggest that you son invest in a slip on stock cover to hold some foam as a cheek rest.

Otherwise with the breaking wave design of the right handed comb he may find himself developing a flinch.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I've shot that gun left-handed and it's pretty unpleasant (definitely a Magnum). He, however, is quite ambidextrous and is otherwise very right-handed. Learning to shoot both ways isn't all bad, I suspect.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/28/21 01:55 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd

I entirely agree that training yourself to shoot a rifle off either shoulder is a worthwhile exercise.

If you are sat in a small high seat and a deer appears behind your wrong shoulder , being able to switch your shooting shoulder very much beats toppling gracefully to the forest floor whilst twisting to take the shot.

Our current British service rifle is a bull pup, can only be shot right-handed and puts the troops at a severe disadvantage when negotiating unfriendly right hand corners.

I appreciate that you won’t want to take a rasp to the stock of your Father in law’s rifle but as a left-hander I would want to put some temporary padding between myself and the sharp edge of that cheek piece.

First World War snipers used to tie on a sealed first field dressing package that did the job nicely, although in their case the problem was no cheek support rather than the wrong shape.

Last edited by Parabola; 10/30/21 12:18 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

As a post-script to this post, I'm processing a nice, big cow elk that my son shot with this rifle. If I had any concerns earlier about his ability to shoot both left and right-handed, they have been firmly resolved now. I have also procured some Redding dies and even some Norma brass (many thanks to Skeettx!) so... going forward we won't have to rely on the too-few hand-loaded cartridges we received with the gun last Fall. I'd like to think that his Grandfather was somehow with him on this challenging (long, cold & grueling) but very-successful adventure and that he somehow knows his rifle has found a secure new home. It brought tears to Grandma's eyes when she heard the news.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/07/22 12:25 PM.
2 members like this: Parabola, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years back at a gunshow, I picked up an FN Haitian military Mauser action (these were made for 30-06 with a lengthened magazine and a notch in the receiver to clear the bullet noses loaded from GI stripper clips) ) and an in the white barrel with an unusual number of grooves (12) for 308 Norma Mag. Total outlay was $45. My neighbor gave me a nice stock which I fitted to the barreled action and glass bedded and added a Lyman 48 sight. It shot well with 180 grain Noslers seated to an OAL of 3.31 inches over 71 grains of the old surplus 4831 in Norma brass with Federal LRM primers. You do have to be careful with some published loads as the original Norma chamber in the S&H rifles had some freebore to reduce pressure and since the early rifles were custom gunsmith chambered they may or may not have the freebore. Mine was freebored. I sold the rifle a few years ago and all the brass and dies I had went with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle is a 1903-A3. A man's guns should go to his children/grandchildren/great grandchildren. Good on your mother-in-law for giving it to your son. I hope he enjoys, cherishes, and gets a lot of use from it. The 308 Norma is a very good caliber, practically the same as the 30/338 wildcat.
Mike

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Der Ami: Thankyou! Thankfully, nobody else seemed much interested in this rifle. Settling the estate was simple in some ways (and complex in others) so the way it worked out was very fortunate for my son. There is much I don't know about both the '03-A3 and the .308 Norma Magnum. My limited reading has me thinking the 1903 Springfield and the '03-A3 are slightly different(?) in that the later versions incorporated some changes to make for easier mass-production? I believe this version is an earlier rifle. My knowledge about this Norma cartridge is even more limited as I've not found much about it's history yet. Visually, they do remind me of the .300 Winchester, with perhaps a shorter neck and ballistically I remember them being very similar as well. In a comparison to the damage done by a .300 Weatherby on game animals I've processed, it is much less destructive, punching a neat hole instead of turning everything to jelly. No matter...he seems to really be pleased with it. Looking forward to teaching him how to reload for it. Halfadouble's suggestion about limiting overall length to 3.31 inches is something I'll be paying particular attention to. How these handloads he inherited with it fit into the magazine of this rifle is of some concern, as there is very little room for any more length (I expect that there is a good reason for that). I will also be examining the chamber for the presence (or absence) of any freebore. I'll likely be carefully measuring his grandfathers handloads for OAL and then try to duplicate them. I just wish I'd had first crack at his grandad's reloading supplies (and possible notes). I'm only guessing at what powders he was using for it right now. I suspect 4350 but 4831 is also a good possibility.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/09/22 09:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
....A man's guns should go to his children/grandchildren/great grandchildren. Good on your mother-in-law for giving it to your son....
The times seem near when a descendant of an arbitrary cut off age will be a criminal just for having grandpa's old rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.