March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had some issues using express type bluing solutions in the past on both Model-21 barrels and a couple of others as well.

The problems I've experienced were areas that looked translucent/thin, brownish or reddish especially on the breech end of the barrels. I called & talked to Mark Lee about these issues and he told me that the first application of the solution is the most critical and the barrels need to be evenly warmed before the solution was applied. He said that after you do your first boil to be sure to examine the barrels under a bright light or take them out in the sunshine and if there are any areas that are thin, translucent, off color or bright metal to polish those areas back down to bright metal with either 320 grit sand paper or green scotchbrite & then apply the solution to those areas again & re-boil.

He said if you don't take care of these problem areas after the first boil, they will only get worse with the more applications & cycles you make.

I've found that for me these express solutions are great for small parts, but I never did get the hang of getting a set of barrels done right with them. I started using Laurel Mountain forge browning solution and doing barrels the old-fashioned slow rust process described in their instructions and have had great results ever since.

My opinion is the express solutions have a learning curve to them and an experienced person who uses them on a regular basis will learn the work arounds for problem areas as they occur. As a part timer hobbyist. I feel that the slow rust process using LMF is much more forgiving and easier to use in the long run.

2 members like this: Woodreaux, gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To continue the conversation, I added the Model 12 to the discussion because I have not had much success bluing Model 12s--either the barrels or the receivers from various vintages. They usually look pretty good when finished but don't stand up to the test of time when rust blued.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil I can tell you who not to send it to.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm probably not going to send any of this out(just because I don't learn anything by sending them out ), but I'd like to have your take on who not to send them to if I ever did want to do that. You might use the PM feature of this. Thanks, Gil

Last edited by gil russell; 11/04/21 11:03 AM. Reason: added info

[IMG]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.