March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What would a shotgun sling as used in Europe, by say the Swedish, what would the sling have looked like (any image links?)

Where could I get one similar to what would have been original?

What the heck were they used for! Wellll....of course they were used to sling the gun. But, was there a certain place they used them, or a specific reason?
Thank you

Sidelock
Sidelock

When my Wife and I visited her relatives in Jamtland, Sweden, they all had modern SAKO bolt action rifles for their Elg hunting (like our Moose in North America), but their shotguns were the Husqvarna underlever hammer guns with about a 7/8 inch wide carrying strap fixed to the swivel on the barrels with the length adjustable end through the swivel on the stock. The Elg were just "winter meat to them" but the trophy that they were really proud of and got them talking was the Capercaillie. Unfortunately I have no idea how they used the carrying strap on their shotguns. To me a "sling" is the multi-adjustable strap used by target shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I typically use AKAH, https://www.akah.eu/our-products/leather-products/, and up until the current environment, I ordered them from NECG or New England Custom Gun(https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/). GGCA might have a lead also.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first classic sxs was a between the wars Sauer 16. Came with sling swivels. I was first exposed to them hunting Barbary partridge with a multi-national group in Morocco. Bought a sling in France for my Sauer a few years later. In addition to the Swedes, the French, Germans, and Austrians commonly use slings on their shotguns. IMO, they make a lot of sense if you're hunting open country birds where a sling doesn't get in the way. Comes in handy when you're taking pictures, doing something with the dog that requires 2 hands, etc. Better than putting the gun on the ground. Not a good idea in thick stuff, like when hunting grouse and woodcock. Just take it off. The swivels don't get in the way, and don't really look out of place on a shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The quick shortening sling is best for most guns, since a quick "tug" shortens then out of the way. An O/U with extra barrels will benefit from the clothbacked double buckle sling because it is easier to change barrels ( They can't be "pulled up tight" out of the way, but are easy to remove. Over 40 years I never felt the need to remove one because it was in the way). The braided ones make a lot of noise, when new. I never used one long enough to know if they are noisy when worn. They are not used for shooting because the swivel is soldered to the barrel and changes the POI. For me a sling is a requirement. These coments relate to the types shown in Raimey's NECG link, GGCA has them also.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never been to Europe much less hunted there, but from pictures I've seen those guys use their slings to shoulder their guns with the barrels pointing down at each other's feet instead of safely pointed up in the air. I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right to me and people look at me as if I were nuts...Geo

p.s.: Ok, I'll admit that may not be the only reason they're looking at me that way.

bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great replies and info. Appreciate the tips and contributions from everyone!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I've never been to Europe much less hunted there, but from pictures I've seen those guys use their slings to shoulder their guns with the barrels pointing down at each other's feet instead of safely pointed up in the air. I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right to me and people look at me as if I were nuts...Geo

p.s.: Ok, I'll admit that may not be the only reason they're looking at me that way.

George, in our country when a shooter is using a sling and the barrel is pointing up I politely ask him to point it down. I don't like to be following him in the brush and have the muzzle swinging past my face every few steps! Besides, if a quick shot is needed its much faster to mount a gun that is pointed down than up, IMO.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern

George, in our country when a shooter is using a sling and the barrel is pointing up I politely ask him to point it down. I don't like to be following him in the brush and have the muzzle swinging past my face every few steps! Besides, if a quick shot is needed its much faster to mount a gun that is pointed down than up, IMO.

Joe, I respect your opinion and I know you are a long time bird hunter. I am too. The European carry I'm referring to is barrels down with strap over the shoulder. I'd agree that a sans strap hands on gun down carry is safer than a sloppy port arms when no strap is present. When I carry the gun barrel down with the strap over my shoulder I have to dedicate my right hand to holding the barrels. What matters in any case is where the business end is pointing at all times. JMHO... Geo

tmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never hunted overseas but my older European friends said they had slings because game could be scarce and you could carry a gun a long time between realistic shot opportunities so the sling was to carry in between and save fatique. tmc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.