March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just happened to be reading an older Shooting Sportsman and saw a pic of Cyril Adams with a pair of BIW hammer guns, enough said

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, I am surprised that you have not noticed bar in wood conversions. I , for the last several years have enjoyed pinfire guns and have shot them with some success. If one looks closely like I have, one can see many Pinfire s converted to center fire. Westley Richards, I have seen a dozen or more, did a fine job of converting to center fire. Some are quite magnificently done. A friend has a Purdey center fire conversion that went through at least muzzle loader and pinfire configuration before becoming a center fire. Actually, I seem to remember that it may have started as a flintlock, but it was years ago, and I’m not sure. A friend enjoys William Powells and their conversions to center fire are not uncommon. Many American conversions were made, too. I have a fine Genez that used Williams and Powell locks, barrels, etc to convert to pinfire. Many makers on all continents advertised that they did conversion work.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/22/21 06:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

sounds wonderful...even if you pay too much, hits still wonderful...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a beautiful BiW Lang, but I don't know that I like the BiW style better than any other hammer lock style.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do like the bar in wood style in a sidelock hammer gun. That being said, I actually prefer the bar in iron look. My boss and Woodward hammer guns are bar in iron sidelocks (1871&1872) and I must say they are sharp. It is amazing how well the Victorian craftsman filed up those early hammer guns. My favourite wood bar guns are most definitely the skeleton round actions.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a fine example of classic BIW form, with good pictures, and showcases how much of the action bar, and forend iron, etc., could be "encased" in wood.

http://www.hallowellco.com/bar-in-wood.htm

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I got out of the military in November of 1969, my first stop was to a local gun shop that I had visited for many years. I spied a cased Westley Richards bar in wood eight gauge with two boxes of Remington shells fitted in the case. The gun was stone mint, never been hunted, with all finish intact, even the buttplate and trigger guard were pristine. The price was $685, a sum that would consume all of my unused leave fund. Oh well, I bit the bullet and still own that wonderful piece. As soon as I got the gun home, I loaded some black powder loads in Winchester paper industrial empties and shot a 25 straight the first time I shot skeet with it. It's hard to miss a skeet target with a chokeless eight gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an 1880 Purdey bar-in-wood hammergun with original steel barrels that were nitro proved in the early 1900's. I have taken my share of upland birds with it and an occasional round of skeet. The gun has never never needed a single repair but I have prettied it somewhat. I'm sure it will continue to function flawlessly for many, many years.
Like Eightbore, I have owned my Purdey for nearly 50 years and the initial purchase did indeed hurt the pocket book. But, in hind sight it has given me may years of enjoyment.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3 members like this: Imperdix, eeb, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Toby, I am surprised that you have not noticed bar in wood conversions. I , for the last several years have enjoyed pinfire guns and have shot them with some success. If one looks closely like I have, one can see many Pinfire s converted to center fire. Westley Richards, I have seen a dozen or more, did a fine job of converting to center fire. Some are quite magnificently done. A friend has a Purdey center fire conversion that went through at least muzzle loader and pinfire configuration before becoming a center fire. Actually, I seem to remember that it may have started as a flintlock, but it was years ago, and I’m not sure. A friend enjoys William Powells and their conversions to center fire are not uncommon. Many American conversions were made, too. I have a fine Genez that used Williams and Powell locks, barrels, etc to convert to pinfire. Many makers on all continents advertised that they did conversion work.

I have no doubt you are correct that they are more common than one might think. I was assuming you were talking ML to CF which is considerably less common than PF to CF. I have no doubt that if you are looking for them, PF to CF will pop up a lot. However, as I only have an interest in guns that are proofed for, or reproof-able for, modern nitro loads, anything with pinfire barrels are quickly passed by. I have reproofed a couple successfully in the past but with the stricter proof tests nowadays, it seems a pretty dodgy proposition. As regards the numbers of original CF BiW against PF - CF BiW, I would say that I have probably seen a 10 -1 ratio over the last 20 years. As to the chance of misidentifying a PF - CF conversion as an original CF, I feel there are so many indicators of PF origins that I would be surprised if I wasn't suspicious if not total sure in 99% of cases. Of course the whole gun can be reworked into the 'modern' idiom but you can't 'invent' the chamber walls of a CF from the slim lines of a PF. Only the very earliest CF had such light chamber walls and most were probably destroyed when nitro powder came along.

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 12/25/21 01:31 PM.
1 member likes this: Imperdix
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

BiW hammerguns are the apotheosis of shotgun elegance.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.