March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#608278 12/23/21 07:08 PM
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Served it last night for the first time for a dear old flyfishing friend who'd requested it as he'd never had it before (a native Texan). Something of an appetizer, served with drinks before the salad and ribeye streak main-course. Nothing fancy, just two birds (breasts only) done bacon-wrapped and aged per Romi Perkins directions in her classic Orvis cookbook. Aged ~5-days undrawn in a refrigerator, then cleaned and frozen (for ~3-months), thawed-out and brined (sugar & kosher salt), boned-out and wrapped in fairly thin-sliced bacon, and then grilled over a hot flame to start (then slowed down to a careful finish). Done to a turn and then rested under foil for a few minutes. By-far, the best ruffed grouse I've ever had. Snow-white and firm (as usual), but... moist, tender, flavorful, and incredibly jucy. Almost like I was having it for the first time(!) My guests and wife were blown away by them (& this wasn't my wife's 1st time). Sometimes the bacon overwhelms the delicate flavor of the bird, but not here. The bacon was clearly part of the show, but these birds were incredibly savory and in almost a new way for me. Nothing like chicken or...game hen or anything else I can think of. My buddy Walt said it somewhat compared to quail for him and I would agree, but better perhaps, and more pronounced than I've ever tasted it before.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you taste the grouse?

1 member likes this: Recoil Rob
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Absolutely. I’ve had Lloyd’s late father in laws version of the same thing, as has my dog-Lloyd is a softy at heart, and dogs know exactly who to lay down next to at the dinner table.
Cooking the rolls on the hot grille renders most of the fat out of the bacon. A good cut of thick bacon makes for a good show. I know what you are thinking, but, it is wrong.
Fabulous, decadent method to prepare Ruffed grouse.

Best,
Ted

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this the way to go for big game cuts or goose breasts?

https://bbqhost.com/wet-aging-brisket/

Hal

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite way to prepare sharptail as well. I have just started playing with brining
, the first attempt was a pheasant breasr for Thanksgiving, I will be cooking more birds that way. Nice and moist. Good stuff.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think there are better destinies for ruffed grouse.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
I think there are better destinies for ruffed grouse.

I agree w/ CZ.

I have done ruffed grouse w/ bacon & yes they were good but not better than grouse w/o bacon & they didn't taste like ruffed grouse.

Ruffed grouse IMHO doesn't need anything except for a little butter, rosemary, pepper, shallots or onion, white wine, mushrooms & a Dutch Oven.

Pheasants however are much better barded w/bacon using the same procedure as it adds flavor & much needed moisture. Wright's apple wood bacon is my preference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My school pal shot a grouse in the UK illegally on an estates land with a .410 no less back in 1967 when he was 17. He took it home and his mother who had no idea what to do, got a cookbook from the library and it said to first hang it for five days before cooking in the oven. That she did but the book never mentioned dressing the bird out first.
They could not go into the kitchen for two days afterwards as the stink was so strong, it always makes me laugh to think back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bavarianbrit
My school pal shot a grouse in the UK illegally on an estates land with a .410 no less back in 1967 when he was 17. He took it home and his mother who had no idea what to do, got a cookbook from the library and it said to first hang it for five days before cooking in the oven. That she did but the book never mentioned dressing the bird out first.
They could not go into the kitchen for two days afterwards as the stink was so strong, it always makes me laugh to think back.

I believe LLBean's cookbook discusses hanging undrawn pheasants from their heads until the neck pulls apart and they hit the floor.

Personally, I've tried hanging game in all varieties of methods. Can't say it does a damn thing good for any of them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BB, a Red grouse is a very dark meat. Ruffed grouse are as white as blanched endive.
While I agree with you on a red’s complex? aroma, the two birds bear no resemblance.

First off, people like what they like. There are lots of people, so there are lots of different ways people enjoy what they eat.

I do not like the flavors imparted in ruffed grouse if they are not drawn quickly. As in, as soon as you can grab them. I find their digestive juices to leave an offensive tang in the meat. But not everyone feels that way. Or can notice the difference.

We did an experiment in college related to ability to taste a chemical, over a gradation of 20 different concentrations. Some people can taste nothing at level 20, and some people can taste it level one.

There is no real right or wrong to it, people are just different.

Ruffed grouse breast fillets lend themselves to being pounded thin, lightly dusted, and fried like a schnitzel. Or a piccata.
Any accompanying sauce you would like.
Chunked in a cassoulet, or in a curry, because they are so mild, the possibilities are endless.
For me, anything with Tex Mex seasoning and a ruffed grouse are contradictory. But that’s just me. So no tacos or white chili.

I’m not fond of anything cooked in mushroom soup, or wrapped in bacon, unless it’s just more bacon
I don’t think they roast well on the bone (unlike red grouse), too easily dried out. But they do well sous vide, and then finished under a broiler.

I work hard at cooking game, and eat it regularly.
Dinner last night was venison smoked polish sausage.
Today, a smoked venison crown roast with new potatoes.
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 12/25/21 10:08 AM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.