March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (dukxdog, SKB, Marc Ret, Argo44, LGF, Ian Forrester), 837 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Fox: Romi Perkins was Lee Perkin's bride (former owner of Orvis). She authored their game cookbook back in the 80s. The Grey's cookbook you mention was and is excellent as well (Rebecka Gray was the cited author). We use both books extensively here, along with A. J. MClane's various (& wonderful) game & fish cookbooks. There are several others but those three authors come immediately to mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also Margaret Deeds Murphy? Seems to me my shotgunning hero- Nash Buckingham-mentioned the Perkins family of Cleveland, Ohio as having invited him on several occasions to hunt quail on their Southern lands-many years ago- thank you for the information. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/05/22 11:28 AM. Reason: improper spelling

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So looks like no one here has tried freezing dry-brined meat. Hunters around here shoot a lot of snow geese are always looking for ways to use the meat. A lot goes for sausage and 'poppers' (breasts with jalapenos and cream cheese inside) are quite popular. Guess I'd better hit the internet and look for answers to my question. Thanks for all the information on wild game cookery.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried goose hunting while in college, because one roommate was very enthusiastic about it. We each shot a Canada goose, and he cooked them, doing several things to make them palatable. They weren't, and I immediately lost interest in hunting a bird that tasted so bad.

It's little wonder why geese have become so plentiful compared to good tasting birds like grouse and pheasants. I feel we should harvest geese, and feed them to people on Food Stamps as an incentive to get a job.

I drink bourbon instead of tequila because I don't want to drink a liquor that takes a dose of salt and lime to hide the nasty taste. And I don't want any game bird that needs all sorts of brine, spices, and witchcraft treatments just to make it barely fit to feed the dog.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

deer are good...cow are better...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ed: You know...I had a very good comparison just yesterday. Got to compare some nice young (December '21) mule deer doe loin (the day before) to a chunk of ribeye roast (standing rib w/o the bones) on my birthday. Both were wonderful (had some GF Yorkshire pudding with the beef that was truly a revelation, ala Alton Brown!). Both served with a good big red wine but w/different condiments (cranberry-horseradish for the doe, creamy horseradish sauce for the cow) and sides (blue cheese polenta for the deer, mashed potatoes w/morel gravy for the cow). The beef was extremely rich in comparison to the venison, the big difference being all the fat marbled into the meat on the cow. I liked both immensely but I feel better after eating deer (full, but still capable of doing something). Beef leaves me feeling like I need a nap after dinner.

Keith: I've actually had some very good roasted Canadian goose before (done by a professional chief) but nothing since as good. My father-in-law had mostly defaulted to corned goose breasts and goose stew on those fellows (largely out of necessity) and both were quite acceptable. Clearly, they are lots of work compared to ruffed grouse or pheasants. Tequila can also be darn good, done correctly (a big gold Margareta fan here on summer evenings on my deck, & even for the pricey stuff on the rocks w/a twist of lime) but my first love is clearly bourbon. Just got a jug of the blue corn stuff out of Texas for Christmas. Looking forward to sampling that one when the time comes.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/04/22 01:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
I drink bourbon instead of tequila because I don't want to drink a liquor that takes a dose of salt and lime to hide the nasty taste..
Amen to that.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

an can we have ah hal la lu yah to dat...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
an can we have ah hal la lu yah to dat...

Couple’O faygs. (toad & Sanford)

Sidelock
Sidelock

toad an sanfurd?

stan an Ole jOe gittin hit down?

wid foxie on base...

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.