April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dogon, AGS, FallCreekFan, j7l2, HMAK, 1 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,848
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greetings!

I'm attempting to find out more about who might have made this English 360 No. 5 rook rifle, as there's no maker's name engraved anywhere on the gun.

This rifle has a .366 groove diameter and will accept 38 Special cartridges. It has a nice piece of walnut with steel butt plate and horn forend tip.
There are London proof marks on the left side of the breech, but I don’t know what the small scrolling ‘R’ stamp means - maybe a reproof mark?
It has a single standing and single folding leaf sight marked ‘50 YRDS’ and ‘100 YRDS’. The muzzle has an unusual convex crown, with about 1/4” of unrifled and over-size bore inside the barrel.

I can shoot about a 4” group at 50 yards with hollow-based wad cutter 38 Special ammunition. I would like to try a larger heeled .366 bullet, but I’ll need a custom mould for that.

It may have been made by Webley, as it looks like many guns illustrated online and in The Classic British Rook and Rabbit Rifle book.

Please see pictures below. Your thoughts and comments are welcome, thank you!

mbatten

https://app.photobucket.com/u/rmbatten/a/a47a3b7c-bb47-4afa-b423-878d209ccbac

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite nice finish on that rifle. Sorry I don't have anything to share.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mbatten,
You might try conical bullets intended for 36cal cap and ball pistols. The max diameter is .375, but it's such a short section at that diameter that it shouldn't make a difference as long as it chambers. The base section that stands in for the "heel" is very short so it has to be handled carefully. Lube with Alox or spray lube. My cousin uses them in his .380 Rook Rifle.
Mike

mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike - will give that a try.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look for 380 LUNGO ammunition. It will be the same dimensions. Fiocchi produced this up until a few years ago. I bought 2 boxes from one of the members on this site. Works great.
I have some new 38 Long colt brass and correct heeled bullets if you may need some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're okay with casting your own bullets, you might try Accuratemolds. They may have exactly what you might want, but you can specify your own measurements, and modify another design by eliminating the base band. Also, for a modest price, an entirely different cavity can be cut in the same block. There are also shops that might have off the shelf expanders for the brass to fit your base. Best of luck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will the chamber accept a .38 S&W cartridge? That's about .366 IIRC

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I haven’t tried it, but the chamber cast indicates closer to 38 Special.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mbatten,
I believe the cartridge is based on the 38 Long Colt, which is a little shorter than 38 S&W Special but since the chamber was reamed for a heeled bullet it will chamber a 38 Special. Starline markets 38 Long Colt cases, but you can just shorten 38 Special. We see rifles of this type with different names, even Holland and Holland. It was likely made In Birmingham "For the Trade", and being unmarked, if the seller was a "Name" company they would have their name applied. If the seller was a local (small) shop, they may or may not mark it. It may have come from the same shop as my friend's Holland and Holland, but likely didn't cost you as much. There are enough of these rifles around that you might take craigd's suggestion and call Accurate Molds; they may have already made a mold that will work for you.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would guess you're right Mike, the hollow base wadcutter is probably fully in the 38sp case. Not that it is a benchrest rifle, but the wadcutter is probably also long for caliber.

mbatten, if a good heeled bullet can be figured out, you may only have to trim your brass to the point it reliably chambers? Because it's low pressure and assuming the brass drops out of the chamber, I would try get a good ID measurement of the fired brass mouth, and specify a heel diameter to friction fit. Then, you might just finger, not press seat the bullets. As Mike mentioned, you can tumble lube particularly if the HB wadcutters are working out ok, without sizing. Anyway, great looking little rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.