March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

My goodness! Just open the rim by .002–isn’t going to hurt a single thing. Believe me, Boswell wouldn’t have hesitated a split second to do it. Zero affect on originality. It may be that the chamber reamer originally used was smaller than normal. People act as though components are available on every street corner. Not!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by DaveB
I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

I’ve seen shotgun hulls with no metal head, so I doubt the plated steel has any structural function.

If AA cases are a must, I would go the extra mile on resizing.
If not, just use a brand of cases that work.

Modifying the gun would be my last choice, just because there’s always the chance of something going wrong, even a UPS screw-up.

Lovely gun, OP.

Last edited by Tom Findrick; 01/24/22 12:03 PM.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by DaveB
I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

I’ve seen shotgun hulls with no metal head, so I doubt the plated steel has any structural function.

So have I. I have a bunch in fact. They are not comparable for a lot of reasons. Your eyes. Not mine.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
My goodness! Just open the rim by .002–isn’t going to hurt a single thing. Believe me, Boswell wouldn’t have hesitated a split second to do it. Zero affect on originality. It may be that the chamber reamer originally used was smaller than normal. People act as though components are available on every street corner. Not!

I had this problem a few years ago with an English 20 ga side-by-side. Got my smith to open the rim. Worked perfectly and could use any ammo that I wanted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A quick look at the SAAMI drawing for the 12 gauge shell indicates the maximum rim diameter to be .886", with a remarkable amount of tolerance on the low side (.021").

This is of course the dimension one would expect AA shells to be at or under. The chamber specification is .887".

AA shells seem to measure .882 to .883 here, fired or sized in a Grabber. STS shells here measure .875 to .877. Both meet SAAMI spec.

If you want the gun to chamber ANY SAAMI spec shell, the rim cut will need to be .887".

Only you can decide if this is a acceptable. The gun predates any SAAMI or CIP standards.

Personally, I'd leave the rim cut alone and just use STS cases for my reloading. They are not particularly scarce. Yet.

Grinding on the rim of a AA is not the brightest thing you can do. The rim is not solid. The brass case head is formed from sheet stock in a die. The rim is therefore hollow.

While the rim is not part of the pressure vessel per se, making it thinner invites a partial case head separation which at minimum would be inconvenient.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shotgunjones, I appreciate all the information.

You have confirmed that my AA’s measure the same as yours,.882”. At .880, they fit into the gun no problem.

Also, thank you for the Remington STS measurement. It gives me another hull to look for. The Cheddite/RST measures .875”, so that’s on my list as well.

I have decided to not open up the rim cut and just try and scrounge up some STS’s or Cheddite’s.

I really appreciate everyone who has contributed to the thread. Thanks to you all!

Last edited by DaveB; 01/24/22 08:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just use a small oval file on the rim cut. Takes about 15 minutes per barrel. I have had to do this on about 5 of my doubles. You can buy a cheap 8 file set at Home Depot or other hardware store. Just go slow and the result are fantastic.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.