March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Little Creek, PALUNC, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 316 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48160 07/14/07 07:52 AM
smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi is it possible to load black powder into plastic hulls? I have a Lefever H grade that I would like to shoot with some black powder loads (just for the fun of it) what is involved in loading black powder I have no experience with it at all (but have loaded 1000's of rifle pistol and shotgun loads) is there any good books on the subject?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob Spencer has a website on the subject. I have deleted it and can't give you the link but I'm sure you can Google it. Answer to your first question is certainly yes. I have loaded thousands of BP shells into plastic and also into Federal papers. I only use them once and toss them. You'll want cardboard and fiber wads. Plastic wads will melt and make a mess besides being illegal for BP cartridge matches. Some of Sam Fadala's BP books touch lightly on the subject but I don't know of an entire book dedicated to this one subject.
As Steve said, it is Tom Bullock. Don't know where I got Bob Spencer.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 07/14/07 12:56 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom Bullock has a great write up on loading BP shotshells on the web at http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Second the recommendation of Bullock.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do it all the time. I don't own any smokeless powder any more.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

Welcome to the world of blackpowder cartridge shotguns! Check out the "Gun Digest Blackpowder Loading Manual", it has a chapter on loading bp cartridge shotguns. The Bullock site has more info though

I use in my loading:

Goex 2f
.125 cardwads as overpowder wads
.5" fiber wads
either .125 or .03 cardwads as a overshot wad.
Muzzleloading ball starter to seat wads into the hull
bathroom scale, yes you read right!
Adjustable black powder measure. one dram= 27.34 grains of bp.
So 2.75 drams=75 grains of blackpowder.
roll crimper.

I haven't used a press so I don't have experience with a fold crimp but I'm sure it could be done.

Ballistic Products, Precission Reloading have them. Buy 500 fiber wads and 1000 cardwads.
You'll need a dowel or I use a ball starter from my muzzleloading kit to seat the wads into the hull. Sam Fadala's books recommend a bathroom scale to measure wad pressure! Sounds silly but it works. I push down to 30 pounds.

Enjoy that Lafever, there's a write up about one in the Spring DGJ. Check out Bullock's site for load ideas. In my 12 ga. I typically use 2 3/4 drams of bp and one ounce of shot, nice easy load.

In the 10, I loaded today some 4 dram, 4.5 and 5 dram loads with 1 1/8 oz of lead shot. I also have some bismuth for waterfowling this fall. It looks like about 4 to 4.25 drams will conveniently fit into the hull. Five drams didn't leave me much room for a good roll crimp.

Vince

smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks guys I'll check the site out

smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have another question I am wanting to make up some 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads to shoot at a local sporting event for a bit of fun (and I dare say some funnier looks!!) do I use 2f or 3f?
am I right in asumming (I hate that word) I can add over powder wads to a load to get a good crimp? I'm thinking star crimping on some Parralel tubed cases paper shells here are non existent I do have a roll crimper I picked up wouldn't have a clue how to use it
is it possible to load black powder through a reloading press? my gut feeling would be no something is telling me it wouldn't be a great idea

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, you can add cards to get the proper heigth for your crimp.
I use a MEC 600 to load mt BP shells, but I dip each powder charge by hand. Also check out http://www.circlefly.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

The CYA recommendation about using a standard press is "Oh God, NO!" I've been loading mine on a MEC Grabber for several years. I do use a metal 1 lb. powder can for a powder hopper, epoxied into a pot metal baffle and a Universal Charge Bar. The Universal charge Bar is the easiest way to get the volume of BP needed. I also use 3f GOEX, another CYA no-no. It has been demonstrated to my satisfaction that static electricity can not ignite black powder. Another reason I don't worry about using a normal press is that in an earlier shotshell manual, there are pictures of an early Lyman reloader, similar to what we use now. This press, in Lyman's literature, was described as being suitable for loading all shotshells, with black powder or the newer smokeless. Nowadays, we can't take a crap without a special body protecting uniform and a helmet. And, of course, lessons!
I'm not recommending anyone else use a conventional reloader, just stating what I do. I do believe I'm smarter than a can of powder and wouldn't do it if I believed there was any risk.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.