March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are there any tips for a novice about to embark on hand stitching leather for an oak and leather case recover, such as best leather hole punches, needles, thread, cutting/skeeving tools, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Youtube is a tremendous resource. There are numerous Youtube videos that show simple tricks and shortcuts that enhance the end result. If there is a Tandy Leather Store near you, they can be of help. There are several FB leather groups that would be willing to be of assistance with questions and suggestions. I've never had a leather craftsman turn me away without helping if I had a question. Let me just say...barge cement and paper clamps are a must....

Last edited by NCTarheel; 01/31/22 02:52 PM.
1 member likes this: susjwp
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Tarheel said. Search for vintage suitcase repair. My wife has taken up case repair and has found the inter web to be of great help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The internet can be a wealth of information for all manner of stuff.

When I lived in bush AK, the native women of the village put on a skin sewing class that I decided to attend. The charge was nominal for the required needles and other material. We had the choice of sewing either mukluks or a fur hat. Fron the patterns they provided, we cut out with a single edge razor blade, the pieces to be sewn together. The needles were a variety of fairly thick straight and curved needles. We didn't use an awl or leather hole punches and although in some areas of the hair on leather we were sewing, it took a bit of effort to punch through, but the needles worked fine! They had us sew the pieces together with waxed dental floss, which was, for the most part hidden since we sewed the edges together from the inside out, I sewed up a pair of mukluks and for the oogruk soles, I had one of the native ladies sew those on for me. And although I seldom wear the mukluks, they're still holding together fine with the waxed dental floss stitching.
If you're going to hand stitch a leather case, my suggestion is to practice hand stitching to ensure your stitching is even for width and depth. The needles and all other materials can probably be found at about any craft store/leather shop, as has been suggested and it's easy to hand cut the leather with a good sharp single edge razor blade and a pattern and/or straight edge.

Cameron Hughes
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sounds like an interesting workshop.

Thanks all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waxed dental floss for thread. Personally i use a drill press and small drill to make the binding holes

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sew leather with a thread and a needle on each end. If you can’t push the needle through, use a small electric drill. There is a rotary tool for marking even spacing for holes.

susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. I acquired some stitching chisels, harness needles, and waxed thread, and have been practicing saddle stitching on scraps. Plenty of YouTube videos, although some are well….

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.