April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (rocky mtn bill, Ken Georgi, Lloyd3, cable, Bob Jurewicz, 1 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,724
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Delighted to know the facts, even at this age , I learn something everyday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB:

Most interesting info on the Germans being the early source for glass.

bushveld:

Great info too and in the rechamber effort, if indeed the case, why did they not replace the front sight then or was the glass the stop-gap solution and they assumed that the sights would be a non-factor from that point on out?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bushveld, my friend informs me that the rifle was indeed regulated after the factory re chamber, (good news for the rifle), and has targets from the previous owner showing tight groups at different distances. It must have been an expensive bit of work, especially if it was done at Holland. I am very familiar with barrel regulation but thank you for the link.

Does anyone have a picture of what the rings should look like, I appreciate the side view but I cannot tell what they actually look like for fitting purposes.

Last edited by tigertrout; 02/13/22 10:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
SKB:

Most interesting info on the Germans being the early source for glass.

bushveld:

Great info too and in the rechamber effort, if indeed the case, why did they not replace the front sight then or was the glass the stop-gap solution and they assumed that the sights would be a non-factor from that point on out?

Serbus,

Raimey

rse

Raimey;

It is almost certain that Holland would have had to make a new front barrel brace when they re-regulated this double rife to the .375 Flgd Mag as one would expect the barrels to need to be spread apart for proper grouping. I must qualify what I writing here as I am assuming that this subject DR was built back then with the muzzle brace that Holland still uses today. I use the Holland brace it in building double rifles as it never allows the barrels to come apart, however it takes many more hours to build and regulate the barrels and most double rifle makers do not use it. In regard to your interest in German rifle, I suspect that Hartmann & Weiss use the Holland style muzzle brace. There is an excellent one hour long video (now 15 years old) titled "A Look Inside Holland & Holland" which shows in detail Steve Cranson (now retired) regulating a double rifle and how he de-solders, moves the barrels and re-solders using the Holland muzzle brace.

I see that you have your e-mail address listed in your profile and I will send you some photos of how the Holland brace is made and looks both during regulation and final.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tigertrout
Bushveld, my friend informs me that the rifle was indeed regulated after the factory re chamber, (good news for the rifle), and has targets from the previous owner showing tight groups at different distances. It must have been an expensive bit of work, especially if it was done at Holland. I am very familiar with barrel regulation but thank you for the link.

Does anyone have a picture of what the rings should look like, I appreciate the side view but I cannot tell what they actually look like for fitting purposes.

Tigertrout;

The photo that you desire is on page 212 of book " Holland & Holland the Royal Gunmaker" by Donald Dallas. If you do not have this book, you can PM me with your email address and I will scan the page and send the page/photo to you.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the info and as typical, never disappointed for the info from the fount of knowledge here. Sure, feel free to send me any & all info.

I have a general guess of just how many DRs flow from Austria every year, and I assume that is typical for other gun-making centres, so has the DR been relegated to history?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recommendation: take an aspirin and let this pass. Iron sights are right for this double rifle.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bushveld

pm sent thx again......

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rings pictured on p.212 of the Dallas book are the second design, just like mine. The rear base on your rifle mates to the cam lever on the rings. I am not exactly sure how the front two posts work on this earlier design. I can send you pictures of mine but they will not be much help I'm afraid.

JR: That would depend upon your desires for the rifle. The .375 flanged magnum is a very capable rifle for plains game at a distance and many older hunters just cannot utilize the cartridge to its full potential with iron sights. I love iron sights and shoot them much more than most hunters but I struggle with them way more than I did 10 years ago. I'm afraid at some point I will have to be shooting mostly scoped rifles. This particular gun has been re-chambered moving more into shooter category than collector. I see no reason not to add optics to it if that is what the owner would like. It certainly will not hurt the value of the gun and may very well bring added enjoyment to the current owner. It may not be a wise endeavor financially but that is not my call.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tigertrout
Bushveld

pm sent thx again......

Tigertrout;

I just sent it at 2:45pm today.

Stephen Howell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.