April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, dukxdog, Roundsworth, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 362 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This Grant was made in the early 70's. As far as the Baker single trigger, I have one in my 1907 Lang and it works flawlessly. I am just concerned about the small action and how it will handle 12 gauge loads. With a limited supply of light 3/4 ounce loads available I am just concerned about the gun shooting loose.

Mike Proctor
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In fact it actually is a pair of Grant 12/20's. Matched pair. With 27" barrels and single triggers. I can get the pair for a little under 15K.
Just not sure about the small frame size.
I suppose these were made up for driven grouse

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What ammunition are you going to feed them that brings you such concern?

You’ve been here long enough to know these are not promotional ammunition guns. Unless you load it yourself, you will have a bit of an Easter egg hunt for ammunition. Big deal. Use your other guns when things are lean on the ammunition front. Buy a US made pump, and make sure you post a photo of all three of them, here, so jOe can add commentary.
Having said that, I’d guess even if it were an issue, and you were forced to use high pressure promotional stuff, it would take you more life than you have left to wear out a pair of guns. That path might nick your gun conservator legacy, however.

That is a cute little first world problem to have. I am convinced you will manage, matched pair or not.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PALUNC
This Grant was made in the early 70's. As far as the Baker single trigger, I have one in my 1907 Lang and it works flawlessly. I am just concerned about the small action and how it will handle 12 gauge loads. With a limited supply of light 3/4 ounce loads available I am just concerned about the gun shooting loose.

Mike, I did not want to rain on your parade. Obviously I only see the ST mechanisms that have failed to function correctly and many, like your Lang, may work well. However, I would say that if considerable funds are involved, and you are unable to 'soak test' these guns before use, you should be resigned to the fact that IF they go wrong you may spend a long time chasing a solution to a problem that can only be sensibly resolved by converting them to double trigger. Just a friendly warning....!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Judy had a single trigger Beretta 471 that began failing to reset for the second barrel or even sometimes fire the first barrel. Beretta in Accokeek and a good trigger man couldn't get it to function correctly. Unhappy wife.

Problem solved by sending the single trigger Beretta down the road and her buying a 16 gauge Ugartechea BLE and a 20 gauge Grulla SLE, both with double triggers which work perfectly. Happy wife.

We now have 7 double trigger SxS guns built from 1866 through 2009 (and had several more before we downsized to move last year) with nary a glitch from any of them.

For some reason single triggers in O/U guns seem to be much more reliable than in SxSs. I have two Beretta 687s and have never had an issue with either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So there seem to be two parallel discussions here: single triggers and strength of the 12/20 action. I do not have a strong the opinion on the ST issue although I would be somewhat reassured by the fact that these are relatively modern guns.

The 12/20 action is as strong or stronger than any conventional British SLE, indeed that is its beauty. Since it is a back action gun, the bar has no metal cut away for springs and is therefore solid metal. Furthermore, the action is cocked by a unique mechanism centered within the Purdey lugs that eliminates the need for cocking lugs to penetrate the bar, so again nothing but metal up front. All adding up to how a 12 bore can get by with a action body no wider than a conventional 20 bore. Hence its name: 12/20 or a 12 the width of a 20.

The issue is not action strength or resilience but rather recoil. Most of these guns weigh 6 lbs and a little change and therefore will really slap you if you shoot more than 1oz loads. I regularly shoot 7/8 oz comfortably but today shot a 100 clay round with 1oz loads at 1150fps without issue.

I believe I have seen the pair you are speaking of and they are beautiful guns. Truly London Bests…but light 27” 12 bores are not everyone’s cup of tea!

1 member likes this: Toby Barclay
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.