Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another Interesting Rook Rifle - Marietta Dumoulin Freres - 44 Shotgun w/ Travel Case

.... suggested to bring over to this Forum also ....

Hello All,

This is another very interesting Rook Rifle from my collection. (actually a 44 cal shotgun) It was purchased at a local Wisconsin gun show about 12 years ago. How this interesting Rook made it to Wisconsin is a mystery. It still has its original 1916 Redhead Leather Travel Case. The travel case is dated June 20, 1916. Amazingly, the case still has its original key for the locking strap. (a feature that would not likely stop a thief)

This dainty little gun weighs only a tad over 3-1/2 pounds. It has a very Unique Folding Martini action, making it simple to clean. This may account for why it still has a mirror bright bore from end-to-end.

Here are the specs:

3 lbs 9-1/2 oz - Octagon to Round 22-1/8" Barrel - 13-5/8" LOP

The gun still retains about 75% silvered case color on the receiver, and 90% original blue on the barrel. The previous owner; W.K.SMITH, carved his name into the left side of the stock just behind the receiver. It also has an "optimistic" Hard Rubber Butt Plate showing a pair of Flying Ducks.

As always, comments are welcome.

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

............ previous posting have shown that some people can't see my photos ... for those that can't ... here's a direct link .. http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/rook44-0.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool. You sure come up with a lot of nice stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

buckstix,
My cousin has a Stevens chambered for that round. He loads ammo using 7x57R cases that I gave him. He shoots birds around the house that are destructive to the songbirds he is trying to attract. There are other cases that can be used, I just had enough 7x57Rs. His gun is a "hoot" and is pretty effective too. Yours is very interesting.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Single shot rifles were also built for the 44-40 XL shotshell.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
buckstix,
My cousin has a Stevens chambered for that round. He loads ammo using 7x57R cases that I gave him. He shoots birds around the house that are destructive to the songbirds he is trying to attract. There are other cases that can be used, I just had enough 7x57Rs. His gun is a "hoot" and is pretty effective too. Yours is very interesting.
Mike
Hello Der Ami,
Thanks for the reply.

I use 44-40 cases loaded with a paper shot capsule that I make myself. I take a 1-3/4" square of paper and wrap it around the steel mandrel shown in the cartridge box to make a shot capsule. I then fill them with 200g of #7-1/2 shot.

Very good results!

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/rook44-992.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/44shot-pattern.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pattern. If you ever want a longer case they can be made from 444 Marlin to the original length of 1.63 inches. Just run a 444 into a 44-40 die with the decapping stem removed. That's how I make them for my Frank Wesson 2 trigger rifle which is chambered for the 44-40 XL bulleted cartridge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

buckstix,
Yes, I saw your posting on the other forum(I seldom go over there but did today), it is a very nice gun. By using the longer cases my cousin didn't need to make shot cups. I forgot, I first gave him some shotshells(from my "pile") made with 303 Brit. cases.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello HalfaDouble,
Hello Der Ami,
Thanks for the reply.

I have also used 375-2-1/2 NE cases "as is" loaded with shot ... but I prefer the "look" of the original 44 shot cartridges with a shot pack in the shorter brass case ...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fascinating gun! just when you think you must have seen it all something like this turns up.

I was wondering what seem different with the Martini part then realised - no cocking indicator.

As to the case lock being ineffective against thieves, I remember seeing in a sporting book from the Raj a recommendation that cases should be lockable to prevent railway thieves substituting an equivalent weight of stones for the contents to avoid early detection.

Last edited by Parabola; 02/26/22 05:23 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Fascinating gun! just when you think you must have seen it all something like this turns up.

I was wondering what seem different with the Martini part then realised - no cocking indicator.

As to the case lock being ineffective against thieves, I remember seeing in a sporting book from the Raj a recommendation that cases should be lockable to prevent railway thieves substituting an equivalent weight of stones for the contents to avoid early detection.
Hello Parabola,
Thanks for the reply.

I never thought of the "rocks" substitution. The lock will protect against that.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.