March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#611652 02/25/22 03:37 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I put this on another forum so some of you may have seen it there, but I think there are a few more people over here on this site that appreciate these old rifles so thought I'd put it here as well.

Another by one of the more lesser known smiths John Hutton. His 15 Minutes of fame was being pictured on the cover of the January 1939 issue of the American Rifleman. Hutton worked for Griffin and Howe for some time, then for Whelens national Target and Supply. There is a thread herethat has a really neat shortened model 70 in Hornet that was also done by Hutton.

The below rifle was built on a NRA sporter barreled action. It has a Noske scope in Neidner mount. Engraving is not signed, but several who know engraving much better than I have opined that it is Kornbrath, but you know how that is. If he cut all the engraving he was credited with, he was one busy man.
Much of the Hutton work I have seen, which admittedly is not a lot, has been very similar. This rifles does have a Schnabel forend which is the only one I have seen with that feature, but other than that and the checkering is very similar to other Hutton rifles. Speaking of the checkering, it is about the only thing I don't really care for on this rifle. If I were the customer I would have specified Hutton's usual point pattern.

I do not have a picture of it, but all the Hutton rifles have his name stamped in the inletting. This one is on the flat behind the recoil lug.

Michael Petrov has a chapter on Hutton in the second volume of his book. If you look at the pictures of his rifle you can see the similarity in styling to the one below.

Regards,
John
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a really, really nice rifle. One of the nicest stocks, especially grip shape, that I have seen. To my eye, it seems as though the comb is high, as if the scope was intended to be the primary sighting method. How functional is the aperture sight? Of course, I'm not a collector, but this one stands out to me.

I agree that the checkering pattern would not be my choice either, but still very nice and I like the uniqueness.

Is is a .30-06 still? What power is the scope?

Congratulations on an exceptionally nice rifle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think it's kornbrath because of the moose and the rosettes around the screws but I have been wrong before

Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing! Great photo quality as well…I miss seeing posts like this.

What kind of buttplate does this rifle have? Any consistency with his other rifles?

The front sight is really cool with the shaping along the side of the ramp.

Congrats on a wonderful rifle!

-Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving and metal checkering stands out to me, and is just outstanding!

Thanks for sharing this gun with us.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun seems to be in exceptional condition. Even the very fine extra shadow line on the edge of cheek piece seems to be without a nick or dent anywhere. The schnable is immaculate. Do you know anything about the history of this rifle? It was obviously well cared for.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

The high ramp front sight, coupled with a long slide 48S, would make this rifle comfortable to shoot with iron sights as well as the scope. I have always thought that Hutton was the "Old Man" who lived on the mountain behind Shenandoah Guns near the river in Berryville, VA in his retirement from Parker-Whelen gun store on 14th Street in DC. Ben Toxvard at Shenandoah Guns never referred to him by name, but told me that the Parker try gun in his store was given to him by the "Old Man" and came from Colonel Whelen whose gunmaking staff used the Parker to fit customers. Ben was taught stockmaking by "The Old Man" when he retired to Berryville. Some information provided by Michael Petrov helped to put this all together. After many years of frustration, Ben sold me Colonel Whelen's Parker. He claimed he needed the money to pay for his new Hardinge lathe, but I always suspected that he just liked me.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent, i have no way of knowing if the gun was originally built with the scope, or if it was added later, but I suspect it was original. Noske used a Hutton built rifle in his adds so there may have been some connection there. When I mount the gun I am comfortably looking through the center of the scope.

Tom, it has a Winchester buttplate as did the Hutton Michael had I think.

Brent, I do not know anything about it's history, but suspect it spent a lot of time in the gun rack. Still has the star gauged Springfield Armory barrel.

8bore, I have heard the connection to Shenandoah Guns before.

John

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

A poster in an earlier thread expressed doubt that Hutton actually relocated to Berryville, Virginia, but some of his dating, putting him in Colorado was not clear. Michael and I put Hutton in Virginia much later than when he was in Colorado. He was gainfully employed by NIST when in Colorado, may have gone with Parker-Whelen later in life, maybe in retirement. By the way, my 1922 Springfield custom that is very similar to Hutton's guns also has a Winchester buttplate and appears to have possibly come from a Parker-Whelen gunsmith. Same name stamp, different name.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.