March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Utah Shotgunner
Mike,

The Heym(barrelec action) action does not have a thumb slot.
Has the late FN/Browning style bolt stop. Sadly, those parts are missing. I have acquired FN parts, but the designs are not identical and either action or bolt stop will need modification to be fitted to the Heym.
You can convert them to use a standard mauser bolt stop.
You thread a piece of keystock 1/4-28 then drill & tap the action so it will mount in the same spot as it would be on a standard mauser action. Slot it & drill it for the bolt stop screw to pass through.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by cpa
i believe this is an intermediate large ring Mauser manufactured by Zastava in Yugoslavia using their tooling either purchased or licensed from FN to manufacture the model 24 and 48 action. Some were barreled and stocked and marked Heym on the barrel. Some were sold as Western Field model 720, Herters sold some and some were sold by Franconia. Actions only were sold as the VZ500 by Zastava as I recall. Most I am aware of had lever release floorplates. Some have Browning ejector housing and some have the Mauser ejector box. i believe none had thumb slots. They were machined and not cast.

Both actions being discussed in this thread are STANDARD length.

The Frankonia rifle/action that opened the thread has no "Yugoslavia" marks, but it DOES have similar stamps on the sides of lug and in front of lug on ring.
Metal is essentially identical to this Western Field M-720( without the shotgun style guard) https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_M__WESTERN_FIELD_MODEL_720_B_BOLT_ACTION_RIFLE_-LOT509984.aspx
Now that I have the rifle in hand and metal out of the stock, I agree. The Frankonia is very likely built on a Zastava action.

EDIT: Should note that the double set trigger assembly is of a different design than the factory Zastava so possibly installed by Frankonia.

The other action (Heym) discussed in this thread is clearly stamped "Made in Germany" and "FWHeym".
That said, it also has stamps/marking on the front lug that is very similar to the marks on other Zastava actions.
It also wears a Herter XK-3 barrel.
Thus, I suspect that it is also a Zastava action.

Many Zastava actions made pit stops in western Europe before coming to the USA, as with Interarms and the "Manchester" markings.
This was done, I have read to avoid import sanctions imposed on Yugoslavia.

Lesson learned.
Don't accept the information from an auction tag at face value.
Be patient and wait until rifle is in hand so you can disassemble and have all information that is available.

I tend to prefer FN Mausers when it comes to "collecting", but I find that I now have commercial Zastava 98s with at least six other manufacturer/importers names on them.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 03/10/22 03:17 PM.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by cpa
You can convert them to use a standard mauser bolt stop.
You thread a piece of keystock 1/4-28 then drill & tap the action so it will mount in the same spot as it would be on a standard mauser action. Slot it & drill it for the bolt stop screw to pass through.

Could do that, but that would leave the spring mounting hole forward of the bolt stop. That would bother me and I would weld it closed. If I had the welder fired up, I may as well use it to attach the new bolt stop mount.

Mike
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you sure the action is a standard m98 length? Is the distance between receiver screws 7.835" or 7..62"? The intermediate actions were used for 30-06 length cartridges by milling the front of the action and extending the magazines. I am unaware of any regular length actions.
BTW, I remember also seeing a Hubertus rifle built on the same action. IIRC it may have been sold by Franconia. i had one of the Herter's XK3 rifles built on this action in 6mm Rem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

for Utah Shotgunner

[Linked Image from gunboards.com]
[Linked Image from gunboards.com]

Last edited by skeettx; 03/10/22 10:17 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by cpa
Are you sure the action is a standard m98 length? Is the distance between receiver screws 7.835" or 7..62"? The intermediate actions were used for 30-06 length cartridges by milling the front of the action and extending the magazines. I am unaware of any regular length actions.

Yes, both actions discussed in this thread are standard length.

I didn't actually measure the distance between the screws.
First I compared it to a stripped commercial Zastava (intermediate length) action I keep next to my desk.
Then compared it a stripped commercial Zastava (standard length) action I keep next to my desk.

Then ran an Argentine 1909 bolt(that I keep next to my desk) into it/them to confirm which bolt actually fits, since there are oddball Mausers with standard length actions and intermediate bolts.

I will not admit exactly how many Mauser rifles, actions and parts reside within 10' of my desk. laugh

Mike
1 member likes this: Hoot4570
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

skeettx,

Thank you!

Mike
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Utah Shotgunner
Originally Posted by cpa

Yes, both actions discussed in this thread are standard length.

I didn't actually measure the distance between the screws.
First I compared it to a stripped commercial Zastava (intermediate length) action I keep next to my desk.
Then compared it a stripped commercial Zastava (standard length) action I keep next to my desk.

Then ran an Argentine 1909 bolt(that I keep next to my desk) into it/them to confirm which bolt actually fits, since there are oddball Mausers with standard length actions and intermediate bolts.
laugh

interesting. Learn something new every day. i've never seen one of these rifles that wasn''t an intermediate length like the FN 24 action.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by cpa
interesting. Learn something new every day. i've never seen one of these rifles that wasn''t an intermediate length like the FN 24 action.

That is the exact opposite of my experience. laugh
All the Zastava commercial actions I have had (Interarms, Herters, KBI, etc.) were standard length until the middle of last year.
I picked up 14-15 of the M-70s imported by ATI in South Carolina.

Expected them all to be standard length. It wasn't until I was sorting parts (disassembled them) that I noticed that several were intermediate length.

Mike
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was referring only to those associated with Heym. Other than that, I've only seen regular length Zastava actions, primarily the Mark X and some from Herter's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.