March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a link to an article about the above referenced gun. I just bought the younger brother of the one in the article. I know nothing about British guns and don't really know what I have. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/near-mint-vintage-westley-richards-12g-pigeon-gun/

Bob Jurewicz

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Pictures and details of your own gun would really help. The gun in the article above does not have the patent C-bolt top lever. Keep in mind that a vintage 3" Brititsh chambering is not the same as our current SAAMI specs on an American 3" cartridge. The vintage British cartridges operated at much lower pressures with lighter shot charges. Westley made some lovely guns and they are a favorite of mine. I look forward to seeing the details on your own gun.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, in the british gun world, there used to be the top five...

westley richards was one of them...

thats a good place to start...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't have a photo service so I can't post pics. The gun has a cross bolt and double underlug lock system, 2/3/4" chambers and is in condition almost identical to the one in the article.
Bob Jurewicz

1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,

You can send a request to WR to get information on your gun. I didn't look to see what they currently charge for the letter. As Trigger says in the Explora write-up, these were special ordered. The gun in the article is a fixed lock (A&D) without the C-bolt top lever; it looks like it has a Greener cross bolt. It also is a flat back frame vice the scroll back type of frame. The gun is nicely engraved. Other than the gun in the Explora article, I haven't seen any others so comps will be hard to come up with.

Is the serial number start with a T or G?

Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for your replies!!
I have sent for a WR Letter. Current cost is $150.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Interesting to know what W R charge for a factory letter. I am not suggesting it is unreasonable as, after all, they have to store, preserve and conserve the records as well as just look at them. Furthermore the letter may well increase the value of the gun.

In the case of my c.1912 T series BLNE, 30 inch barrel 2 1/2” with Greener cross-bolt, a re-import from South Africa I will refrain as the charge would be rather more than I paid for the gun.

In any event it “says on the tin” much of what they would be able to tell me. It was specially made for Ford Bros, Maritzburg who were ironmongers in Pietermaritzburg. I have the impression that the stamping to that effect on the top extension was done at W R.

The intriguing “FORD’S HAMMERLESS WARRIOR’S GUN” that spurred me into digging the gun out at a Holts view some years ago may have been applied when it reached Ford Bros.

IT WASN’T ME (song credit to Shaggy) that used a scratch card or similar on the exterior of the barrels. The good news is that despite 100 years of hard use the 13/1 nitro proofed barrels are well in proof with clean bores.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.