April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#614013 04/18/22 09:43 PM
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Headed out next weekend. I've never been before so... I figured it was time. Speculation is that ammo will be in short supply and it's been suggested that one might bring some along. Hoping a couple of flats will be sufficient? Are there any other sights or regional things that I should consider? I've hunted turkey near there (North of Raton) back in the 90s (back over the State line in Sugerite Canyon) but otherwise it will all be new to me. Any dos and don'ts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I expect that you will be welcomed in the same way you would be at most other ranges. I was, in the 90's, when I visited Whittington Center for an afternoons' skeet shooting with muzzleloaders. I was invited by a friend who lived in AR and wintered in Phoenix. I was there visiting my brother who lived in Phoenix, and who drove me out there for the afternoon. It was a nice facility. Good memories.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Headed out next weekend. I've never been before so... I figured it was time. Speculation is that ammo will be in short supply and it's been suggested that one might bring some along. Hoping a couple of flats will be sufficient? Are there any other sights or regional things that I should consider? I've hunted turkey near there (North of Raton) back in the 90s (back over the State line in Sugerite Canyon) but otherwise it will all be new to me. Any dos and don'ts?

I spend 2.5 weeks at the Whitt every year. Highly recommend it. The three sporting clays courses are a lot of fun, but I'm there to shoot rifle matches. If you are staying in the campground, I can recommend better and worse campsites.

Take some rifles for sure (incl .22). There is a lot of steel to shoot from a few tens of meters to 1100+ yds. Spotting scope and someone to watch through it is a good idea.

Highly recommend the Cold Beer for pizza and beer, of course. Go out to the Whitt entrance, turn right, and drive 'til you see it. Keep going. You will not miss it. I promise. Try not to hit a pronghorn along the way - they like to graze in the ditches where the grass is greener. Elk too, but not so many.

Food in town is a bit iffy. Breakfast at the Oasis on the south end of town is as good as it gets, for Raton. Everything else is passable at best and down hill from there.

Drive up above the Star over Raton. You will come to the end of the dinosaurs. On your right - another can't miss. It's the iridium line. Below it, dinos. Above it, just birds.

What else? Well not a lot of things are better than sitting outside the trailer watching the monsoons roll past while eating something different and sipping on a quality beer or G&T.

PS. Bring boots with hard soles and your feet will thank you by the end of the first week.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great venue and awesome bunch of guys! Wish the time would have worked out.

Have a good shoot!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will be leading the crazyness on Sunday morning with rounds of crazy
on the skeet fields. What fun, what fun, bring an open choked grouse gun

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Stan Phoenix to Whittington is a long drive for an afternoonh

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Wow Stan Phoenix to Whittington is a long drive for an afternoonh

Stan is a bit geography challenged. Ben Avery is not the Whitt.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am indeed. My bad.

I was remembering Ben Avery. Thanks for the correction guys.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Lloyd!
Im the fellow who has been organizing this event for the last 15 years. I’ll introduce myself to you when you arrive. We will start with a gourmet potluck on Friday night. BYOB.
Saturday morning we will shoot the exciting Dove Flurry followed by a round or rounds of sporting clays on one of three SC courses.
Saturday evening we will have a banquet and guest speaker.
Sunday morning you can shoot more SC, or Crazy Skeet or participate in a vintage gun trap shoot.
Lots of fine folks will be in attendance.
Spectacular SxSs, fine single malt (after shooting of course) and cigars if you want.
We are in Denver today and driving back to Raton Friday morning.
We’ll see you soon!
Mark

The only constant in life is change.
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Mark: Looking forward to it all. Is good bourbon acceptable as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.