March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pulled the 03 apart, it is just a headless national match assembly.

John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The answer I was looking for is that both rifles were pictured in Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks. This book was a follow up to Lindens three volume set on restocking a rifle. While the book is authored by Kennedy, there is a lot of Linden work as well as examples and text from many of the top gunsmiths of the day including Brownell, Shelhamer, Mews, Goens, Hearn and of course Kennedy, as well as others. The book is a great resource for the student of pre-war and early post-war custom rifles. I also found it a great text book for learning checkering, although some would argue otherwise. As a kid I pretty much taught myself how to checker through the instruction in this book. While I am no James Anderson or Jerry Fisher, I think I do a fair to middling job of checkering when I get the chance.

I searched off and on for the Hornet for 35 years or so. It finally just kind of dropped in my lap. It was still in Wisconsin where it was built. Although G&H did the Hornet conversion including there neat little magazine box, the stock work was done by Linden. Who did the engraving is likely lost to time.

Anyway, I hope some of you found this interesting. If you have any questions about either rifle feel free to ask.

John
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for sharing these very cool rifles! I miss these “guess who made it” posts.

I recall Michael commenting on Linden’s inletting, any thoughts on how it compares to other stock makers?

-Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recognized the gun in the first picture, from Kennedys book, but the close-up of the engraved bolt handle on the other gun didn't register. Had it been the full size picture, I'd have immediately known it was from the book. I've had my copy since the mid 60's, bought it when I was teaching myself to checker. I think I memorized every checkering pattern in it. Like gasgunner, I learned enough to become pretty good, but not great. Sadly, at 70, arthritis has pretty much put a stop to my checkering and stock making.
Another book showing some pre 1950 stocks and checkering is Dunlaps "Gunsmithing". The photos aren't as good as in Kennedys book, but while I was learning, those books were the only ones I knew of.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Davis
Thank you for sharing these very cool rifles! I miss these “guess who made it” posts.

I recall Michael commenting on Linden’s inletting, any thoughts on how it compares to other stock makers?

-Tom

The 03 is just average as I recall, been a while since I had it apart. The Hornet however is very good, not just in the inletting but the overall shaping and execution of the stock is much better than the 03. I have not seen a lot of LInden stocks in the flesh, but this Hornet is a cut above most of them that I have seen. Maybe made for a special client who knows but it holds it own against any of the pre-war makers.

Greg, I didn't want it to be to easy. wink Lots of Owen and Shelhamer work in the Dunlap book.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
Thanks for sharing. A pair of beautiful rifles and it is great to see them preserved.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.