March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on the "dot" placed on the lens of the left eye shooting glasses.

You want the dot positioned so that it only blocks the left eye from seeing the bbl & rib of the gun when mounted & the head on the comb. It take some adjustment to get the dot positioned correctly. Correctly placed it won't block left eye vision except when the gun is properly mounted.

For a dot I use opaque scotch tape & mounted on the inside of the lens. A fired .375 H & H case w/ the case mouth sharpened w a case trimmer cuts a clean 3/8" dot but anything similar in diameter will work. Just put a piece of tape on a leather scrap to cut the dot then peel it off & place on the lens.

I should add that I shoot w/ a low gun mount so I am seeing and tracking the bird with both eyes until just before the shot which works well for me. I'm not sure how well the dot would work for someone who shoots with a premounted gun as this means you are only picking up the bird w/ one eye, a definite disadvantage.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 04/28/22 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Both shotgun and rifle are shot off my left shoulder and with handguns I just tilt my head slightly so my right cheek is touching my shoulder at the joint. I rarely have a problem shooting this way and I am a good to very good hand gun shot and average to good shot with a rifle or shotgun. I have been competing in a variety of shooting sports for over 25 years and the cross dominance has never been an issue.

Unless your lady friend wants to be super serious and/or highly competitive there is no reason to try and force her to use her right eye or buy special shotguns for her. If anything cross dominance can be a slight advantage in that for long guns she will be using her dominant hand to reload the gun.

Last edited by Chantry; 04/29/22 02:02 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brittany,
I'm going to try your suggestion of a 3/8" dot. The dot I was using is a Magic Dot branded one that is 3/4", perhaps much too large. They worked before, but not now!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have tried many solutions, but the crossover stock is the ultimate solution. My left eye dot is permanently installed when I shoot a straight gun and a right eye dot is permanently installed on the glasses I use with the crossover gun to reinforce my use of the left eye when using that gun. Remember, as one poster emphasized, the dot should only block the front sight and the front end of the rib, leaving the view of the target unobscured. Some coaches just don't understand the proper use of the dot. The dot is not meant to make you a one eye shooter. The dot is meant to make you a two eye shooter who does not look at the gun with the off eye. The placement of the dot is a careful procedure when done correctly.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Remember, as one poster emphasized, the dot should only block the front sight and the front end of the rib, leaving the view of the target unobscured.

So true, the only way to determine the distance to the target is through triangulation, which requires a view of it with both eyes.

So grateful I have never had eye dominance issues.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep it simple Chuck. Try the 3/8” dot first. Don’t mess with changing guns or having her shoot off her non dominant shoulder.
Ps. Missed you at Whittington. Can’t forgive BK for being tardy.

Last edited by muchatrucha; 04/28/22 07:10 PM.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: The rule of thumb is that stereoscopic vision (depth perception) is effective up to 100x the distance between the eyes, or about 6 cm X 100 = 6 meters or about 20 feet. Functional depth perception is about 30 feet. SO binocular vision is not of significant advantage in most clay target disciplines. Distance and speed of a moving clay past 30 feet is determined primarily by its relation to background objects and its perceived change in size.
Binocular summation refers to the improved visual performance of binocular vision compared to that of monocular vision.
Improvement has been well established in brightness perception, flicker perception, contrast sensitivity, peripheral visual field, and visual acuity.
This study states visual acuity is improved 11%
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8350167/
Response time (visual processing) is also improved with 2 eyes
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042814022435

Some people may perceive a difference in size and speed of a moving object two vs. one eye; but like visual acuity from binocular summation, the difference is no more than about 10%.

And BTW (but not dominance relevant) the ability to "see things in slow motion" (Zeitraffer phenomenon) in order to process images more quickly would have a great advantage in shooting sports, and many others like ping pong and hitting a 100 mph fast ball.

Sidelock
Sidelock

my wife just started shooting last year and at 63 picked it up pretty quick despite being right handed and left eye dominant. We tried left shoulder and tape but in the end she decided just to wink left eye before shot. As we recreational shooters it is good enough.
At 69 my left eye is now stronger than right and if I try an O/U my left eye wants to play but it looks down the side of the barrels. Thanks goodness I am an SxS guy so my right eye stays in power

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Stan: The rule of thumb is that stereoscopic vision (depth perception) is effective up to 100x the distance between the eyes, or about 6 cm X 100 = 6 meters or about 20 feet. Functional depth perception is about 30 feet. SO binocular vision is not of significant advantage in most clay target disciplines. Distance and speed of a moving clay past 30 feet is determined primarily by its relation to background objects and its perceived change in size.
Binocular summation refers to the improved visual performance of binocular vision compared to that of monocular vision.
Improvement has been well established in brightness perception, flicker perception, contrast sensitivity, peripheral visual field, and visual acuity.
This study states visual acuity is improved 11%
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8350167/
Response time (visual processing) is also improved with 2 eyes
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042814022435

Some people may perceive a difference in size and speed of a moving object two vs. one eye; but like visual acuity from binocular summation, the difference is no more than about 10%.

And BTW (but not dominance relevant) the ability to "see things in slow motion" (Zeitraffer phenomenon) in order to process images more quickly would have a great advantage in shooting sports, and many others like ping pong and hitting a 100 mph fast ball.

No argument with your facts, tho' I'm not sure I agree with the numbers (distances). But ........ what the mind believes is at least as important as what the eye(s) see. If I believe that I will shoot better with two eyes open, past 30', it's hard to convince me other wise. Self confidence, or the lack of, is huge. Know what I mean?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend just mentioned his eyes are changing and in recent years his left eye wants to take over. He has adapted by just closing his left eye before the shot, but he said he has to close it before the gun fully comes up, because if he's ready to shoot, sometimes he will find himself trying to line up on his left eye, and crossed up off target. This is for gun down casual bird hunting. It also seems to affect his bow and open sight rifle/pistol shooting, but making due so far, he says it sucks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.