March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once shot passing doves on a hilltop in Argentina. I did not see many hulls but the plastic wads covered the ground a few inches deep. Not in just one place, but the entire hill. I've also shot ducks at a popular spot near my home and while picking up against the windward shore noticed so many plastic wads that I was amazed. It may be that shooting will have to become less messy...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 05/12/22 12:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Degradeable plastic has been in use for decades in the vegetable growing business. The raised beds that you see in fields growing vegetables are often covered with the kind that degrades and just goes away in a matter of months. I would think it a short step to make plastic shot cups out of something similar.

I struggle to accept that the breakdown of any product based on plastic will "just go away"..... out of sight , and out of mind springs to mind; although the material will degrade and breakdown ultimately into very small particles, I believe that research has established this particulate uptake and accumulation in microrganisms, terrestrial and marine. Something to cause concern? Probably not of immediacy for our generation but who knows for those in the long term.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Degradeable plastic has been in use for decades in the vegetable growing business. The raised beds that you see in fields growing vegetables are often covered with the kind that degrades and just goes away in a matter of months. I would think it a short step to make plastic shot cups out of something similar.

I struggle to accept that the breakdown of any product based on plastic will "just go away"..... out of sight , and out of mind springs to mind; although the material will degrade and breakdown ultimately into very small particles, I believe that research has established this particulate uptake and accumulation in microrganisms, terrestrial and marine. Something to cause concern? Probably not of immediacy for our generation but who knows for those in the long term.

It is my understanding that they have been making some forms of plastic from corn, for a good while. I once had a plastic coffee mug that was made from corn. I was informed that corn based plastic can be made to breakdown very quickly. I can assure you that the bed plastic that some vegetable growers use will absolutely go away, with no sign of it left. We all need to understand that "plastics" are not all the same plastics.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was comment about the "worry" that sheep will eat plastic shotgun wads, and that cattle will also. Do we know this or is it lore? The gory pictures of grazing animals that have eaten plastic, are generally rooting around in garbage, aren't they.

How many thousands of spent wads would a cow have to selectively target for eating, to form a ten or twenty pound blob of plastic in one of their guts. How many beef cattle get to free range graze in upland bird hunting country, for the many years it would take to accumulate an adequately offensive blob of plastic in it. How many beef cattle are allowed to graze in garbage dumps. How many milking cows get to graze in upland bird habitat. Does it matter if penned sheep will eat a plastic bag. How many years is a lamb allowed to graze for plastic wads, before it is no longer a lamb, and of little value to the rancher.

I embrace whatever the UK feels like doing, as long as they do it over there. Something is not adding up, as to what the agendas are that some of our bird hunting friends are trying to message. I'm all for biodegradeable wads, and uncompromisingly pro lead shot, but not if those wads are intended to price shooters out of the market, and is a strategy to discourage the next generation of shooter, hunters.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly Eley are making wads out of corn starch that behave like plastic which they market as the Pro Eco Wad and I think Hull Cartridge Co. and Gamebore are going down the same route for use in steel shot ammo. The Eley ones can go quite quickly if wet and will be a slimy mess in 24 hour in water and being corn starch you can drop one in a glass of water and drink it if you are so minded without any ill effects. The cost is the same as far as I can see and I've used some of them. A lot of packaged item over here come packed in corn starch pieces that look and act like the old expanded polystyrene pieces. I check that it is, because it looks the same, then add it to the garden compost heap. We've never had a problem buying cartridges with card and felt wadding. Plastic wadding was mainly used for clay shooting on some grounds although some grounds only allow fibre wads and the clay cartridges come in both options to cater for this.

I've never known of cattle coming to harm with plastic wads. The things that do need banning are those blasted 'sky lanterns' that people light and set off with no regard as to where they might end up. There are a number of cases of them getting in hay meadows and being chopped up with the silage and the bits of wire frame getting into the cow's guts and piercing through. A very painful death!

I'm quite happy to shoot anything through my guns provided it does not harm them, kills game cleanly and doesn't cost the earth. Lead seems to be the best choice at the moment. I fully intend to use up my existing stock. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago I was stalking on the South Downs and saw through the trees what at first sight looked like the rusted remains of an old oil drum.

When I got closer I found it was the rib cage of a very big Fallow Buck that had rolled onto his back.

Resting on his back bone was a fist size lump of compacted plastic that I suspect had caused his demise.

If in substituting steel for lead we also have to change from fibre to plastic we could well be moving from a theoretical problem to a real one,

Last edited by Parabola; 05/13/22 01:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plastic is a very generic term for a number of organic and petroleum based polymer compounds. Being organic in nature, they absolutely decompose over time, despite what some sources claim. That time may be anywhere from a couple years to 500 years, depending on the chemical composition thickness, exposure to UV light, etc. Unlike things that decompose more readily, such as corn starch based materials or cellophane made from cellulose, it can be a nuisance and an eyesore when it accumulates faster than it breaks down. But the idea that cows, sheep, fallow deer, or ducks are dying in any significant numbers from eating plastic is little more than hysteria or agenda driven bullshit. Animals generally do not evolve and prosper by intentionally eating non-food items like rocks and plastic shotshell wads.

And we all should know by now that the liberals who hate our guns will say and do anything to make shooting more expensive. It's a shame that many shooters still buy into their crap about lead ammo being an existential threat. I worry much more about breaking a tooth on chilled lead shot than getting lead poisoning from a pellet I inadvertently may swallow, that will pass through my digestive system 99.9999% intact in 24 hours or less. There are very few cases of severe or fatal lead poisoning in this country. And the vast majority are due to disorders like pica, which compels some people to eat things like paint chips, or occupational exposure, such as dust from battery manufacturing, or drinking moonshine from stills soldered with lead solder. Wild game consumption is a very minute and negligible lead poisoning risk factor. But I'm sure some gullible fool will post the fake news that lead exposure is causing over 400,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone. Some people will believe anything.

In the UK, one death of a 2 year old girl was coded to lead poisoning in England between 1981 to 1996. I'd bet it wasn't due to eating wild birds shot with lead ammo.

We all should be asking those Libtards who are so concerned about the existential threats posed by our ammunition why they aren't as concerned about real threats.... such as our open border policy that contributed to over 106,000 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. in 2021.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, greener4me
Sidelock
Sidelock

An interesting article by Richard Atkins in Shooting UK (an online article)where he tested Lead & Steel cartridges .

Lead was far superior in every test and blew many 'myths' peddled by Greenies into ridicule. But of course they will still ban Lead !

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Left never lets the truth stand in the way of their narrative

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.