March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you reload? I shoot 1 oz and 7/8 oz in my old guns. Kills both clays and doves fine. If it were mine I’d leave the chokes alone. Pictures?

Last edited by eeb; 05/10/22 10:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you buy your new Purdey at the Southern? I saw a couple of Purdey pigeons there, but did not make a deal. How does the bore diameter compare with the proof marks? .044 sounds like the barrels may have been honed a bit.

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Although I do not expect to shoot many flyers or Helice with it as there are not any places close by here in central N.C. I would like to maintain the gun as a pigeon gun. I hope to maybe at times use it as it was built for. So shooting 1 1/4 OZ of shot through a 44th choked barrel may result in damage to the gun.
Is that assumption correct? I did shoot it this past weekend with a 1250/1oz Clever and it turned the clays to dust.

Mike Proctor
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bores are 735 /737. Barrels are still pretty thick as I remember. Yes I did get it at the Southern. A pigeon gun has been on my list for awhile. But we will see how long it stays in the safe.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

.044 choke is ridiculous, 99% of the time, especially with modern loads. The 1% of the time it might be useful if you’re in the habit of shooting 70 yard ducks or Turkeys & coyotes from across the field…and even that’s dependent on if the gun patterns good with the loads you’re using. It may have worked just fine with fiber wads, etc, but in my experience, those extra full constrictions aren’t worth a crap with modem loads. Most of my experience with guns with copious amounts of choke is mostly limited to older American, German, Italian & Spanish made guns. I’ve owned a few German & Spanish guns with tight bores that were .040+ with choke and almost all of them threw blown patterns with modern(plastic wad) ammunition. Pattern the gun as suggested with the loads you’ll be using and throw in a few loads that you won’t be using just for comparison. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’ll throw gorgeous patterns. Im thinking it’ll be one or two things, patterns the size of a small fist or totally blown, both equally worthless.

Obviously I’m in a different camp when it comes to adjusting chokes on a shotgun. Im all for it. If you have a gun with original chokes that don’t do what they were intended to do because of technology changes in ammunition etc, then all you have is an original gun that shoots shitty patterns that finds its way to the back of the safe or cabinet because you don’t like how it performs. What’s the point in that. Make it right so it does what it needs to do efficiently so you, the owner, can enjoy the gun.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How would the barrel be damaged by loads it was built to shoot? I understand loads contemporary to the gun used fiber wads but modern plastic wads shouldn’t make any difference, should they?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your bores are .735/.737 then your constriction of .044 leaves the chokes at .691/.693. To me that reads normal full chokes. I don't see an issue. Pattern your gun to see where its at as others have suggested.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another aspect for the new owner to consider when he comes to sell it - the nearer to "original" the more desirable will be the gun to a prospective purchaser.

I have some experience of buying and using vintage British wildfowl and pigeon guns. I do not buy guns that have been tinkered with. Bad examples? ---- William Ford chamberless wildfowl guns such as 10G -which were often the equivalent or better performance as an 8G......NEWBIE owner thinks that he can "improve" the gun by re-chambering it to 8G, etc. It never fails to perplex me how some johnnycomelately thinks that he can "improve" a product of a masterful gunmaker and barrel borer such as Ford.

4 members like this: Stanton Hillis, mc, eeb, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a steel patterning plate of my own for checking regulation and patterns with my guns. I own numerous guns that have original constrictions tighter than .040", and every one of them patterns nicely ........... with the loads I use in them. Actually, I've never found a load that delivers blown patterns out of them. I tend to stay under 1200 fps, if possible, but not always........ BOSS bismuth loads pattern beautifully out of my L C Smith 3E and my A H Fox HE, both of which have chokes in mid-to-upper 40 thousandths range. When you kill six big ducks with six shells, and .048" choke, a couple of them long shots, your patterns can't be that bad.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those ducks certainly didn't think so!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.