March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Longknife, Der Ami, jcn, ksauers1, Jtplumb), 824 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#614781 05/13/22 12:08 AM
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I keep buying weird stuff that ends up puzzling me.
I have had a few German hammer drillings, but never kept any of them permanently. I started watching an old Sauer Cape gun on GB a while back, but I thought it was overpriced. However, I eventually bought it because it
was in tremendous condition and the ad said they thought it was a 16 ga/577 Snider. They gave rough chamber and throat dimensions and it seemed close to a Snider chamber, but the groove and land numbers seemed large. This is often true for the military carbines so I didn't think much about it.

When I got the gun, I dropped in a Snider cartridge, and it went past the extractor and deeper into the chamber. Hmmm. I measured and checked and tried, and finally realized it had a 20 gauge shotgun chamber, for a 2" shell,

I had to extrapolate the numbers, but my best guess is that the gun was built in 1875-76. The gun is incredible, particularly the barrels. They look to be almost unfired. The 16 gauge barrel (2-1/2") measures right on spec and looks perfect. The rifled barrel has absolutely no erosion, no scratches, no pits and the rifling and grooves are perfectly clean, straight and shiny to the bottom of the grooves. turns out the rifled barrel is (I suspect) a 20 gauge brass 2" cartridge. The barrel has 8 grooves ( 1:100 twist or so) with a bore of a 20 gauge and grooves of a diameter to match a brass 20 gauge shell I.D. (I chamber cast the throat and barrel).

I'm no expert, but I have never seen anything like this exactly. The gun has permanent adjustable sights. That would eliminate the intent to scatter the shot for wingshooting. It would also seem to elminate a Paradox type load, since the entire barrel is rifled. It is set up like a true cape gun, except that the rifle barrel is a shotgun. All the shotgun answers are discounted by the two different bore sizes and the permanent sights. It is not a true ball and shot gun, since it has dedicated rifle sights. I would say it is a combination gun with a shotgun and a bore rifle, but the barrel doesn't seem to be thick enough to push into the bore rifle category, although it is thicker walled than the shotgun size due to the barrels being the same contour outside.

Anyone know the proper name for this setup? Anyone seen one before? I am at a loss on this. Wouldn't be the first time.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

AGS, I always thought that a "Cape gun" was any two barreled gun with one barrel smooth and the one rifled, regardless of the bore sizes. The rifled barrel with the slow100 twist would probably shoot best with a round ball. I looked your gun up on GB and it does look like a fine piece, Don't know how I missed it or it might have been mine!!!! LK

Longknife
Sidelock
Sidelock

Without any fotos, I would hazard a guess is was something in the 12.7mmX?? range or some Lancaster round, being a Bohemian term. What is the length of the rifled chamber?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The chamber cast shows it to be a 20 gauge shotgun with a 2" length. I confirmed this with a brass 2-1/4" shell which wouldn't seat all the way. A 2-1/2" Cheddite would not either, but cut to 2" it seated perfectly. At the throat and just past, the bore is around .615 and the grooves are around .635. I presumed it was made for a .635-.640 ball in a brass case, given the manufacture date. A plastic or paper shell (which I also tried and measured) would not have the ID to hold a ball large enough to fill the barrel. This would be 16mm +. My surmise is that they took a 20 gauge barrel made to the same OD as the 16, then bored and chambered it for a cylinder bore 20 gauge and rifled it to a depth of .010 or so per groove.

When I get some balls close to the right size, I my plan is to upset a ball into the grooves, knock it out and measure it.

I had never seen a setup exactly like it but find it interesting. The result is very close to what I thought I was getting (16/.577) but more interesting. This was only four years after the 577 Snider was superceded by the 577/450, but BSA and others were still making sporting guns in that caliber. I thought maybe Sauer was making these for the German market. I would have thought they would have made a 20 gauge with a reduced bore for ease of loading or the more obvious of simple a 16 bore in both with shallow rifling. Maybe from a manufacturing standpoint this was the best option but it seems like a unique piece.

The pictures in the add don't really describe how pristine the gun is.The barrels blueing looks a little suspect, but the rest looks absolutely original and the barrels litterally like a new gun. There is a small splinter gone off the thin edge of the forearm and a tiny crack on the inside of the forearm behind the wedge that I have superglued and clamped to stabilize, and that's all I can find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just can't remember for the moment, but hopefully Jani will stop by in a bit to ID the 20 bore X 2"......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

During the same period, Sauer turned out Büchsflinte in 16-65X11mm Mauser.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It seems this Buechsflinte was chambered for a 20ga x50mm (about 2") ball cartridge. Such cartridge cases were available in various gauges and lengths, for loading by a local Gunshop or maybe the guns owner. I think old catalogs showed these cases under the "Express" heading. The confusion is exacerbated by the gun having been made before the first proof law was in effect. If it had been proofed, the markings would show whether a barrel was proofed for shot (crown S) or a single projectile (bullet) (crown G).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed Ford, 50mm Express...... That puts us on the proper path. I will search for an ammo list......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Raimey,
It wouldn't be listed as 50mm Express, instead it would be 20 bore x 50mm. The 50mm is the case length. Deutsch Metallpatronenfabrik Lorenz Karlsruhe, Baden had 20 bore Jagd-Patronen-Hulsen in 75mm 63mm and 40mm lengths. Keep in mind, I didn't verify the dimensions of the chamber and we often see old chambers that are longer than the case, but w/o a separate throat. In their catalog only cases up to 577 (which is smaller than 20bore), listed as Express.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 05/13/22 07:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.