March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The basic question is whether or not to open up the chokes on an Iver Johnson Skeeter.

The gun is a 28 gauge, CCH, ejector with 28 inch barrels. All original. Chokes are IM and F as marked and also measure that way. Shot it for the first time at the Southern SxS.

I am guessing that fewer than 200 were made in 28 gauge and the CCH and the tight chokes may make it a one of a kind.

I would ideally prefer IC and M. But, am I violating a great gun in doing so?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Load spreaders and see if it gets close to what you want?

Bill Johnson
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are a reloader; using some clean reclaimed shot may give you the patterns sought. These days, it's always a good idea to pour it out in, say a large stainless bowl not to be used for food and double check it w/a good strong magnet before using it. Steel shot shows up from time to time in 'some' reclaimed, in spite of efforts to eliminate it by the seller(s). If you are not a reloader, it will be worth the effort to make friends w/some skeet shooters that are or look into going there yourself w/new or used equipment. Components are scarce at present, but there are still savings to be had reloading vs. new and for your quest that may be your best bet w/o the need to modify your interesting and valuable [to the right person(s)] shotgun. I knew of serial number 001 in an Iver Johnson 28 ga. skeeter at one time. It was a nice well used but not abused gun; kept up with it thru three owners, but lost track after the third died and never knew whot became of it. Sounds like a very nice gun that you have! Ultimately, the decision is yours, but once modified it won't be original. You have to decide if that really matters... to your personal enjoyment. That's your answer. Should you decide to have it opened, get someone who knows what they are doing to perform the work and never look back, aside from verifying that it meets your need(s) on a grease plate. Don't over think it. How do you shoot it now? That's likely the best starting point. If you are going to use it for rough shooting on dove or feral pigeons or wish to perhaps try some flyers or helice in a 28 ga race, I would definitely NOT modify it by opening the chokes! Just my thot's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You already know that you have a "not common", if not rare, Skeeter. If you open the chokes it will become much less desirable, IMO. From someone who has made that mistake before, and learned from it, I say "No" to your question.

Are you more determined to have what you think you want right now, even though there's a chance you might feel differently down the road, or more concerned with preserving the gun's originality? Ultimately, the choice is yours .............. and the regret, if you eventually feel you acted with poor judgement. As for me, the regret taught me a lesson.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How does it pattern? How well did you shoot it in Sanford?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you for your thoughts.

So, i do reload and I can look at finding spreader wads. Never heard of them for a 28 gauge but maybe BPI carries some.

I haven't patterned it. I actually don't like to pattern guns because it effects my thinking. I prefer to go to some skeet stations and gauge it from that.

As to how it went at the Southern SxS, I was a bit disappointed in my shooting. The long lines made me a tad annoyed. I shot both of the 28 gauge hammerless events and did finish in the top third of each. Targets were fair enough . . .well, except for the true pair at Station 2. I was just off. The trappers were the very best I've encountered. I enjoyed being around the guns and the enthusiasts.

Last edited by Underlug; 05/16/22 09:31 PM.
1 member likes this: eeb
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Use the money you would spend to modify the gun and buy shells and learn to shoot it like it is

Sidelock
Sidelock

Three words of wisdom in mc's post.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don’t change the chokes. You can find some Europeans wads, which will leave a portion or all the lead exposed, to open up the patterns. Or just shoot it as it is and consider your patterns to be slightly greater in width than a .410 would give you, with a lot better pattern density. Mid season doves get shot with my Ruger O/U 28 with M & F chokes, deadly out to about 35 yards. I shoot sporting clays with a .410 and can hold my own against most 12 shooters. Center you targets and they all die. Larger guns only give you more margins for error and a bit more range. But most sporting clay targets are at known, reasonable distances, well within a 28 gauge capabilities.

Ballistic Products, BW28 Brush wads work well.

Last edited by KY Jon; 05/17/22 09:23 AM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well all great advice. I can accept the collective wisdom. I'll leave it as it was made.

It just won't be a quail gun. I have other guns that can serve that purpose. Actually, an I Iver Johnson Skeeter in 410 was what I used this season.

And, I have an IJ Skeeter in 20, too. Have to acknowledge my Norwegian roots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.