April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jem Finch, Lloyd3, ChiefC, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 843 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,826
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I consider my only phone conversation with Kirk Merrington, about 25 years ago for some help with a Greener stock removal, which he walked me through most patiently, as one of nicest ever with a true gentleman and professional gunsmith.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I highly recommend reaching out to Dan Morgan, Fine Firearms Restoration, VT. 8024574828

I spent the better part of a day at his shop this spring getting a Fox A grade hook to latch correctly. I learned a ton from him as he fixed the Fox and showed me several very nice Scottish and British guns, and particularly the quality of the finish on the interior parts.

He specializes in Scottish and British best guns and is a top notch guy.

-Tom

1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had work done by most of the gunsmiths recommended above over the last 25 years in this hobby and agree with all of the recommendations. One man that has not been mentioned that should be is JJ Perodeau in Oklahoma. JJ is a fully trained European gunsmith who not only works on many fine shotguns but also many double rifles which is unique. He also turns work around much more quickly than many other smiths. Here is his website: https://jjperodeau.com

As to the issue at hand, I now have every newly purchased gun stripped and cleaned by my local gunsmith unless I have bought it from a shop that has already done so prior to marketing the gun.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not disagree with any of the smiths mentioned but one needs to be aware of exactly who will be working on a fine double or O/U when repairs or maintenance are needed. Some of the smiths mentioned may have an apprentice on hand that will doing some, or all, of the work.

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used to hear a lot about JJ back when I was going on safaris years ago; haven't thought about him in a while. My double rifle is also a sidelock. As you mentioned, he's really highly regarded with them. He does retail and repair, right?
I've had good conversations with two of the guys mentioned previously; leaning towards the one that said he should be able to get the gun good to in a month as compared to six. As you might imagine, having this all wrapped up before the fall has appeal.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by spring
[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

That is a lovely rifle! .375 Flanged H&H?

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Chukarman, and I’ve really enjoyed this gun. It’s a .470 NE, which works well on disagreeable creatures. Beretta used to make these at this level and they aren’t easy to find these days.

Here’s the first page of when this gun was featured in the Doublegun Journal shortly before I bought it:

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had quite a few American hammer guns that I'm sure never had the locks off in over a 100 years. On any of those that I've taken the locks off of, the left hammer has to be removed many times to get to the screw running from the left lock to the right lock. If it's backed off a couple of turns, the back side of a screwdriver can be used to tap on the screw head. This will unseat the right lock. Continue to remove the cross screw. It can then be used if left in its hole just a bit to pry the back of the left lock out a bit so it can be removed. The right lock should be out a bit, but again the same screw can be used in it's hole to pry a bit. The front of the lock plates have a small extension that goes in the receiver. That cross screw is what hold the back half tight against the wood. When putting the locks back in many times the triggers have have to be kept forward so the sears will fit by them.
You get the locks out and some WD-40 then some compressed air to blow them out followed up by a little oil is all it should take. I wouldn't go any farther than that unless you have some working knowledge of how the locks work. You'd need a spring vise to compress the main spring. And it's very, very easy to break off the small pin sticking out of the spring into the lock plate. Good luck finding another. It's not that hard to take them out, clean and oil em back up. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Paul Harm
I've had quite a few American hammer guns that I'm sure never had the locks off in over a 100 years. On any of those that I've taken the locks off of, the left hammer has to be removed many times to get to the screw running from the left lock to the right lock. If it's backed off a couple of turns, the back side of a screwdriver can be used to tap on the screw head. This will unseat the right lock. Continue to remove the cross screw. It can then be used if left in its hole just a bit to pry the back of the left lock out a bit so it can be removed. The right lock should be out a bit, but again the same screw can be used in it's hole to pry a bit. The front of the lock plates have a small extension that goes in the receiver. That cross screw is what hold the back half tight against the wood. When putting the locks back in many times the triggers have have to be kept forward so the sears will fit by them.
You get the locks out and some WD-40 then some compressed air to blow them out followed up by a little oil is all it should take. I wouldn't go any farther than that unless you have some working knowledge of how the locks work. You'd need a spring vise to compress the main spring. And it's very, very easy to break off the small pin sticking out of the spring into the lock plate. Good luck finding another. It's not that hard to take them out, clean and oil em back up. Good luck.

Oh my god!!!! WD-40 in a gun lock! Sure to be a catastrophy....

Just kidding.

It is pretty easy to remove locks usually. I enjoy doing it occasionally and when first acquired, and it has never been a problem.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is what some locks will look like after sitting on the gun for a few decades without the occasional strip and clean. The locks should be completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed. Just pulling the locks off, a few squirts of oil and scrub won’t make them function correctly and efficiently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

What they should look like after being properly cleaned, polished and lubed:

1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.