March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, jcn, DaveB, Lloyd3, ksauers1, 1 invisible), 871 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#615154 05/26/22 10:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a Buehler 1 pc. base mount on this from a gentleman on this site from TX- $70.00 fair price indeed. But I made a mistake, as we all do, and didn't specify if it was for a Pre-1964 M70 Long action, or a Short Action, as on the Featherweight series M70's in .243, etc. It won't quite fit on the 1952 M70 in .220Swift I now own. So, unless Mr. Buehler offers, along with the rings I also need for the 1" dia. Weaver V2x-9 scope I plan to use on this "woodchuck devastator", a scope base "extender", I have no present use for it.

Details:End flap on orignal period box is stamped--BUEHLER 1-piece MOUNTS BASE WIN M70 code- 70-s short. Pre 1963, as there is no Zip Code for Orinda, California-- With screws and original instructions, including Maynard's "pithy" note IF ALL ELSE FAILS-FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS Instructions for installing the Buehler Mount on undrilled receivers- 3 6-48 machine screws included and base is stamped BUEHELER Oinda Cal. 100% blue finish oal. I paid$70.00 for this, would like to get close to that if I sell it.

I may want a set of 2 pc. Buehler or Leupold bases for this same rifle, ditto 1" medium ht. matching rings. Please advise by return PMS on this website. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,

The S (short) designation on the Buehler 70S base refers to where the front ring is located & has nothing to do with which action it was intended for.

The 70L base & 70S one piece bases have exactly the same hole spacing but the base is longer & moves the front ring about 0.8" farther forward to accommodate the turret position of a longer scope.

Either the 70S or the 70L will fit on a post war(non magnum length, ie. 300 or 375 H&H) M70 Winchester action that was factory drilled & tapped. In Post war Pre 64 M70's you only had the std. action & the magnum action.

Any chance your M70 Swift is built on a pre war M70 action or very early transitional post war action? If so it requires a different base for the prewar style action.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 05/26/22 07:40 PM. Reason: further thought
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks- didn't know that, and now I do-- so if I use this 70-S Buehler base, the frontmost D&T'd receiver ring hole is "plugged" with the filler screw the rile came with when I bought it?? This potential "dinger" has no open sights, when the barrel was shortened and recrowned, the front sight ramp and blade was removed, also the rear sight in the milled recess in the barrel-- bore shines like a mirror when scoped, so much for the >220Swift reputation for eroding barrels, hey?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Thanks- didn't know that, and now I do-- so if I use this 70-S Buehler base, the front most D&T'd receiver ring hole is "plugged

No, that is not correct. The base is mounted using both factory drilled & tapped holes in the receiver ring & the rear of the base base should line up with one of the holes in the receiver bridge. If it doesn't I'm not sure what base you need.

There were a few very early post war M70 rifles referred to as "transition period" that still had some features of the pre war rifle & did not have the receiver bridge drilled & tapped from the factory. Normally the bridge would be gunsmith drilled & tapped for the pre war base. In a Buehler one piece base it would be a # 54.

I hope this helps.

BTW: to avoid confusing anyone, I previously referred to the long M 70 Buehler base that places the front ring farther forward as a 70 L but the actual Buehler # is 70 & again the shorter base that places the front ring farther to the rear is the 70 S. Mounting hole spacing is the same for both bases.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess the real question is why it won't fit your rifle. If I remember, all the pre-64's except the magnum length actions were the same and simply used different length magazines. Do the screw holes not line up with the D&T'd holes in the action? Maybe the gun was redrilled when they did the barrel work. According to all the info I found, the 70 or 70 CodeS should fit any post war M70 except a few with very low serial numbers. Thowe and the prewar use the same mounts as the M54.

You may have more luck posting this question in the next forum below instead of the Doublie Rifle/Paradox forum. Also, if you sell it, the fpr sale forum would get more response I suspect. I did a quick search and found a lot of those for sale across the internet.

Last edited by AGS; 06/12/22 07:03 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.