February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 135 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics37,236
Posts526,446
Members14,246
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 24
Likes: 10
Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Joined: May 2022
Posts: 24
Likes: 10
This is all encouraging news. Being tuned out of things for several decades and popping back in at what is probably the worst situation since WW2 rationing had me a bit concerned. It sounds like RST is still viable and the owners are juggling the myriad of things thrown at them the best they can. Hopefully I’ll be able to get up to Medford here in a few weeks and see for myself.

Last edited by Entropy; 06/12/22 11:24 AM.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Note: NO SHELLS FOR SALE alert included on the material from the Great Northern shoot. I expect that there may be some available, but in very small quantity. And not likely much at all in 2 1/2".

https://mrcsportsmansclub.com/great-northern-side-by-side-classic/

Last edited by L. Brown; 06/13/22 06:19 AM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,487
Likes: 12
tut Offline
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,487
Likes: 12
RST limited the shells to 3 boxes per person at the NE SXS until the last day and on that day they would sell you a flat. Prices were $20 per box and no discount for a flat. Everything was in good supply except for 16 gauge 2.5" as they are loaded with the same powder as 12 gauge. The only 16 gauge available was the 7/8 oz load in size 7.5. That's stiff, but the reality is unless you reload you are going to pay it if you want to shoot short chambered guns. PS. I worked the Fox booth this year per the norm. Lots of folks were talking about extending the chambers on the short chambered guns so they could shoot factory 2 3/4" loads. I spoke to one dealer there who measured some Fox guns that had had their chambers extended and they in his opinion were marginal to shoot anything (including RST) out of. In front of the chambers the readings were less then .009. The biggest problems were with gun that had lighter weight barrels installed at the factory (example 4 barrel weight Foxes). Bottom line is if you going to get a classic with the barrel chambers extended get them measured before plucking down your cash.


foxes rule
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by tut
RST limited the shells to 3 boxes per person at the NE SXS until the last day and on that day they would sell you a flat. Prices were $20 per box and no discount for a flat. Everything was in good supply except for 16 gauge 2.5" as they are loaded with the same powder as 12 gauge. The only 16 gauge available was the 7/8 oz load in size 7.5. That's stiff, but the reality is unless you reload you are going to pay it if you want to shoot short chambered guns. PS. I worked the Fox booth this year per the norm. Lots of folks were talking about extending the chambers on the short chambered guns so they could shoot factory 2 3/4" loads. I spoke to one dealer there who measured some Fox guns that had had their chambers extended and they in his opinion were marginal to shoot anything (including RST) out of. In front of the chambers the readings were less then .009. The biggest problems were with gun that had lighter weight barrels installed at the factory (example 4 barrel weight Foxes). Bottom line is if you going to get a classic with the barrel chambers extended get them measured before plucking down your cash.

Do you mean .090 not .009 or did the dealer really say .009? Also where in front of the chambers. start or end of the forcing one, how long was the cone? Not enough infor. to make a logical conclusion.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Likes: 40
eeb Offline
Sidelock
*
Offline
Sidelock
*

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Likes: 40
The poster must mean .090. .009 is slightly thicker than an aluminum can.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,820
Likes: 8
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,820
Likes: 8
I'm going from memory, but didn't Sherman Bell do some test with 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2' chambers where pressures only went up 500psi ? I would never remove any wall thickness where it's needed the most.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,100
Likes: 293
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,100
Likes: 293
Originally Posted by Paul Harm
I'm going from memory, but didn't Sherman Bell do some test with 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2' chambers where pressures only went up 500psi ? I would never remove any wall thickness where it's needed the most.

I think the caveat was that the 2 3/4” round had to generate about the same pressure as the 2 1/2” round the gun was designed for. Actual pressure on 2 3/4” ammunition isn’t something that gets a bunch of light shined on it from SAAMI spec manufacturers of same.

I’ve run the lighter version of 2 3/4” Winchester AAs in my 2 1/2” Halifax, damn if I could tell the difference between 2 1/2” RSTs, but, that gun is a brute in barrel construction and muzzle wall thickness. I’m in no hurry to run anything hotter in it.

Best,
Ted

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Likes: 40
eeb Offline
Sidelock
*
Offline
Sidelock
*

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Likes: 40
850 BAR is the same whether it’s fired in 2.5” chamber or 2.75” chamber. Lengthened chambers are not a license to shoot anything. Stick to appropriate ammunition. I think everyone here knows this.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,487
Likes: 36
Sidelock
*
Offline
Sidelock
*

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,487
Likes: 36
I hear it's Putin's fault we can't get 2 1/2" shells


Mike Proctor
2 members like this: eeb, Ted Schefelbein
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,100
Likes: 293
Sidelock
**
Offline
Sidelock
**

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,100
Likes: 293
Originally Posted by PALUNC
I hear it's Putin's fault we can't get 2 1/2" shells

About 81 million voters are apparently stupid enough to believe that. Don’t hear them crowing about much at the moment, however, which, is a good thing.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: keith
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!


Copyright (c) 1993 - 2022 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.0.33-0+deb9u11+hw1 Page Time: 0.083s Queries: 37 (0.058s) Memory: 0.8488 MB (Peak: 1.8991 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2023-02-04 18:18:06 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS