March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, Borderbill, cpa, JDH, craigd, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I get saddened this time of year thinking about American-made fireworks, once the mainstay of our Independence Day celebrations. Since 1954, domestic production has nearly been eliminated, in the name of "safety", by new federal entities. The producers simply cannot compete with their overseas counterparts because of regulations imposed by various Departments, Commissions, Administrations, Offices, and Agencies. Never mind the fact that misuse of fireworks ranks right up there with stepladders, roller skates, and bicycles as one of the many causes of serious injuries. Reminds me of how so many mail-order firearms and other 'destructive devices" were prohibited in 1934 under the guise of "crime control" even though these items were seldom used by criminals.

Oh well, celebrants in some jurisdictions can still shoot imported fireworks, often made by children and semi-slave labor, as long as they make sufficiently muted sounds at or near ground level. The 4th just isn't as much fun as it used to be without some great old noisemakers produced by Backe's, Kent, Tipp's, Triumph, Unexcelled, United, and Victory to name a few of the biggest. They employed a lot of people.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Hal, for most of my life fireworks were illegal here in PA. Now they are legal, but unless I'm wrong you can't legally buy them here you have to go to Ohio, where they are also illegal unless you buy them in PA. Yes, fireworks are sold in Pa and in Ohio just not to the corresponding residents! Safety First! Very Happy Independence Day to All!

Hal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We can shoot anytime here in ND, but can only buy during the week of the 4th and around Christmas/New Year. No rockets under 2 oz or Roman candles over 10=ball are the only restrictions. CPSC tried to ban all firecrackers nationally in 1976; only thing that saved us was the fact that they are used for religious purposes by some faiths. That is how we ended up with the miserable little 50mg crapcrackers we have today. I've been collecting firecracker packs and labels for 75 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect a lot of those old firecracker labels would deem the manufacturers racist these days.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was surprised to see how much fireworks have gone up in price in the last year. Each year I buy my F250's back seat full of big, multi-shot fireworks aerial displays (some with as many as 640 shots). From last year to this year there was a big difference. I bought $474, after the 40% discount my close friend gives me) Friday, to shoot Saturday evening. I've done this for several years, each 4th of July, at some pre-determined place on the Savannah River. Last night it was at Stoney Bluff Landing. All of the fireworks originated in China. It would be nice to be able to have fireworks that were all made in the USA, but the truth is that if they had been my bill would have likely been closer to $2474, instead of $474. Make of that what you will. For my part........... "thanks, labor unions".

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 07/03/22 08:24 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We can shoot fireworks off anytime of the year outside the city limits unless the area says it’s restricted

However we can only buy the at the 4 of July time and New Years time,

All the good stuff is federally restricted ( 50 milligrams of powder) unless you have a connection

Not as fun as it use to be

Even the stuff when you could make the really good stuff is restricted now. Can’t even buy dynamite fuse anymore

Seems a shame

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nineteen years living in the Ponderosa Pines in a dry climate I've come to hate fireworks!!

3 members like this: dogon, 1cdog, SKB
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Researcher. Two years ago in September, the wildfire smoke in No Cal was so thick that it was as if the sun never rose all day. Last summer was the same in much of Oregon. CA barely had any rain this winter, and the fire potential is off the charts.

2 members like this: 1cdog, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

House about 20 houses down from me on same street burned down last night. Empty, new owners were going to move in today. About an $900,000 home. It's toast. A tear down. Fire department is pretty sure it was embers from fireworks, which were non stop last night, and with no one living in the house, it was raging before anyone noticed.

We've had lots of moisture so far this year but nothing for close to two weeks.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/04/22 05:19 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fireworks are fundamentally different from firearms. The right to be arms exists in our constitution for a well thought out purpose.

While I no longer like setting fireworks off myself, and I am bothered by the week of booms all over the neighborhood, I tolerate it. Toleration takes us a distance in this country.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/04/22 07:40 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.