April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since I was back in the land of my youth last week, I visited the wife of another dear friend I'd lost several years ago (this getting-old stuff is a bit wearing). We've been in contact somewhat regularly lately as she'd finally reached out after I'd found some photography of her late husband this Spring that neither of us had ever seen before. The photographs caused me to catch my breath when I first saw them and when I arrived for our visit, she'd even had the best one framed and on her living room table. Her world has been very hard since her husband's passing (she has no other immediate family) and she only is just now starting to deal with her surroundings on more-even terms. As I had been back there for another funeral, I'd hoped this visit would be more of a nostalgic tour of my old stomping grounds (and a break from all the painful, emotional stuff) but this visit was almost as emotional as my earlier duties. Oh well...lots of things had been unsaid for several years now and my visit did seem to be somewhat cathartic (for us both). After several hours, I left feeling pretty good about it all and... she had even gifted me with one of his rifles (which he'd evidently wanted me to have). I've never owned anything like it before and wondered what the general feelings were about these firearms here. She included two boxes of clearly early (antique? from the 40s and 50s) ammunition and one more modern box as well. This is easily the nicest Savage I've ever handled. Machining and blue are quite flawless and the wood is clearly wearing it's original finishes. The weight is minimal and the 24-inch barrel is wearing it's original iron sights. Many of his other 99s had been fitted with early Weaver scopes, but this one is unmolested and I seriously doubt that it's even been afield. While it's almost too-nice to use, I was considering using it on a mule deer doe hunt this coming Fall.

These guns seem to have an almost cult-like following back in that part of the world, as does this cartridge. What says the cognoscenti here on the subject?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/04/22 05:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I deeply regret not buying one several years ago. I will make a very fine mule deer rifle and you will think of your friend while you are waiting for one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a Savage collectors discussion group on 24hourcampfire.com that includes the author of the definitive book on Savage 99s. It would be worth your while to post an inquiry there.

I like 99s. My primary whitetail rifle is a 1950s 99 in .300 Savage.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Remington 40X: At your suggestion, I joined the 24hourcampfire site. Need to be blessed by their administrator first, but you're right about the resource. Thankyou for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd:

You are most welcome.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first deer rifle is (I still have it) a 1950’s Savage 1899EG in .250/3000.

I bought it as a south paw it because at the time there were no left-handed .243 rifles on the market in the UK.

Actually, thinking about it now, it was the second one I bought. The first, bought at auction, I had tapped for a scope but went back to grumble when the scope did not align with the barrel.The gunsmith discovered that the barrel had a “run off” to the side of a few degrees from the centre line of the action.Either the shoulder of the barrel or the action face had not been trued up.

The previous owner had fitted it with a Parker-Hale peep sight and probably never noticed.

Anyway that one went back to auction but I still wanted one and a friend found my present one for me in Yorkshire.

When it arrived something seemed strangely familiar about the serial number. Had I bought the first one back again?

I checked, it wasn’t but they were consecutive serial numbers!

It proved very accurate particularly with 86 or 87 grain bullets.

Lloyd, if it has a 1 in 14” twist you may find it is fussy about bullet length with 100 grain bullets. Semi pointed flat based Speer 100 grain bullets should shoot well but longer pointed boat tails might not stabilise.

Last edited by Parabola; 07/06/22 01:54 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola: This is an EG as well and... yes, that seems to also be the consensus on the Savage Collectors site. An issue to contemplate, I suppose. Purely by accident, I had accumulated an 8lb jug of Varget powder before the great COVID component famine descended on us all. And, even well-before that, I had put back a large brick of the appropriate primers (during the great Bill Clinton/Janet Reno primer famine of the 1990s, remember that one?). Assuming that I can find the lighter (87 grain) Speer Hot-Cor pills out there somewhere, I should be able to work up a load for this venerable cartridge & rifle. My great concern now is that it will be just too-nice for me to use (if that's at all possible). Yet another good problem to contemplate.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/18/22 10:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

Use it and enjoy it, that is what it was built for and I am sure your friend would want you to.

I have found with mine that the FPSN 86gr Remington bullets for the .25-20 group well even though they are being pushed at about double their design speed.

I have noticed however that on paper targets they leave a swirl of lead vapour around the bullet hole. And on a hot day from a warm barrel one turned into a puff of smoke about 50 yards down range.

They should work well on varmints.

I did use one once (and I concede it was not the best of ideas) to cull a Roebuck in a very small field where I was anxious to avoid an exit wound and any risk of over travel.

It did the job, but to my surprise chopped a one inch hole out through the far rib as it exited into a safe background.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to have 7 or 8 Savage 1899/99 and a couple 1895 Savage rifles. I think they're one of the finest lever action repeaters ever made. They used to take a backseat to others with exposed hammers, but not so the last 20 years. They gradually crept up in value and I've watched a lot of them sell at larger gun shows like CGCA shows for mid $2k and higher prices.
The .250-3000 is one of those cartridge chamberings every Savage collector wants to own, so they get a premium over more common chamberings. It's a fantastic cartridge that can be loaded to higher velocities in a Savage than in most other lever actions.
I'd certainly not hesitate to take it deer hunting as long as the weather isn't nasty or you're not hauling it through thick brush.

Sidelock
Sidelock

50 years ago I had a beautiful, older, 99 takedown in .250-3000. Just couldn't get it to shoot to my satisfaction so it went away. I'd like to have another crack at it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.