March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent line and comments. Like it or not, the current center for SxS manufacture is in the area around Huglu in Turkey. They are the successors to Saint-Etienne, Birmingham, Liège, et. al. They now have the workforce, the knowledge, and the market. The prices cannot be matched anywhere in the West. Many contributors to this site have noted the steady improvement in the quality of the Turkish product...and the need to do work on the triggers. Your enjoyment of the 28 bore is infectious and indeed pretty ubiquitous these days.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I screwed the Modified choke Into the starboard tube because the right-side trigger was better, fired dry. I didn't find the trigger pull to be a problem in close contact against orange things. Next time out for trap, I'll switch trap choke and barrel-preference both to portside, and will report if it makes a difference,

Regardless: This little shotgun swings like your Grade 2 teacher's turned maple pointer. If we 're of an age...

It is a fun pair of pipes to own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Fudd
Now I want to try it at Olympic Skeet. How should I choke it?

I've tried Olympic skeet with a 12 gauge, you should be able to choke it the same way as regular skeet unless a 28 gauge needs to be choked tighter. With what comes with the CZ, cylinder and improved cylinder

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you! It did come with those.

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I tried it at Ordinary Skeet yesterday, with the Cylinder and Improved Cylinder chokes fitted, in that firing order. Even being coached, I didn't hit many because of my sloppy execution, but the ones I did hit were most gratifyingly pulverized, even when I offered the target far too much lead.

"Lead it by about a foot and a half."

"Gotcha. PULL!"

-BLAM-

"Oh, nice shot!"

"Thank you! Except I failed to do what you told me to! That looked more like three feet and a half!"

Left trigger that I'd reported being much heavier during dry-firing when I received it was not even noticeable when confronting clay targets. I put the Cylinder choke tube in the port barrel and switched it to fire left first for yesterday's shoot, and remember no appreciable difference.

The thing that strikes me the most about this little shotgun is how light it is, relative to my B-SS. I held it in my hand (broken open) most of the afternoon, on a hot, wearyingly sunny day, and never had the inclination to drape it over my shoulder or rest it on my toe.

Last edited by Fudd; 07/23/22 03:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great report
Thanks
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

the Turks have gotten better with triggers. But I'd still never recommend that anyone buy a Turkish double without testing the triggers. A friend bought a new CZ 28, godawful triggers. Checked it with my gauge. It only goes to 8#, and the gun was off the scale. He tried checking it using a fish scale, came out over 9. CZ will lighten the pull to the weight of the gun. That got him down to 6#, which some will find heavy if the gun in question weighs 6#.

I believe the SKB guys have ceased importing Turkish guns. I dropped snap caps into several of theirs (all of which were single trigger guns). I didn't find any with really heavy triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the Turks have gotten better with triggers. But I'd still never recommend that anyone buy a Turkish double without testing the triggers. A friend bought a new CZ 28, godawful triggers. Checked it with my gauge. It only goes to 8#, and the gun was off the scale. He tried checking it using a fish scale, came out over 9. CZ will lighten the pull to the weight of the gun. That got him down to 6#, which some will find heavy if the gun in question weighs 6#.

I believe the SKB guys have ceased importing Turkish guns. I dropped snap caps into several of theirs (all of which were single trigger guns). I didn't find any with really heavy triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Almost 20 years ago I met a retired Remington executive who had launched a partnership in Turkey to build 28ga and 20ga SXS and O/U guns. Reportedly at least some of them were fabricated using old equipment purchased from Beretta in Italy and shipped east to the vicinity of Huglu. I purchased a lovely little 28ga SXS boxlock from him with crazy gorgeous turkish walnut that was marked "Hatfield. Made in Turkey" which was my only disappointment with it... I hate it when older makers have their name recycled. I killed a bunch of dove and chukar with it, then sold it because for some reason I thought the 26 inch barrels needed to be longer. If I understand the story, he later started building (or licensed) the 20ga sidelock "Valier" badged by Kimber for a run that only lasted a few years. I never warmed up to that gun due to its rather stout weight, but they are still occasionally encountered. I haven't seen any of his "Hatfield" guns in years. However I now own a CZ Bobwhite 28ga, again with 26 inch pipes, with identical lines with I use for mountain grouse as much as anything. The triggers are fine, but it does tend to drag the firing pins, opening stiffly on most shells including Win AA. Does anybody recommend polishing firing pins (or?) to reduce this?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.