April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jem Finch, skeettx, LRF, 3 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had this problem with my Fox and found that my resizing die on my reloader had moved up and was not sizing down to the rim. Adjusted and fixed. If you are using factory ammo try different shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of the day pheasant hunting with my Dad and his best friend, Herman Steinke, about 1950. Dad shot his 12 gauge M21, which I know own and shoot- Mr. Steinke had a 12 gauge Fox double- I wouldn't have known the grade back then, at age 9-- but I recall all the engraving. Lots of pheasants and also quail that Nov. Saturday back then, and Mr. Steinke had shot himself out of shells-so Dad gave him a few Peters blue paper shells- and after firing both barrels at a large covey flush, his gun would not open easily. (he made a double on that covey rise however).. I have a 20 gauge Sterlingworth (Utica gun) but I have not yet experienced those problems with it-I bought it well used from a grouse hunter about 12 years ago, as I had hopes of our State getting a legal dove season-- Hope in the right hand, crap in the left-see which fills up first I guess. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SIXSKB
Mind really running slow today. I forgot to mention that this happened with the gun empty (no shells) and the hammers cocked.

So, due to the design of the hammers, that can't have anything to do with the 'firing pins not retracting' now can it?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks bushveld and Kutter for your detailed response. The cocking slide does not appear to be the answer. I compared the 16 in question to my 12 and the 12 functions exactly as you described. The 12 stops with minimal movement and then requires pressure on the barrels to cock the gun. On the 16 in question the cocking slide is not loose, absolutely no evidence of wear, looks new. Cocking slide mates as described with minimal barrel movement, however further relaxing of the barrels begins the cocking process, barrels begin to drop which leads me to believe I have weak coil springs for the hammers. The next issue which started this thread, barrels not opening appears to be a separate issue. My thumb is blue in attempting to push the top lever to the absolute farthest right (stop). It appears as if the rotating locking barrel is not retracting enough to disengage from the barrel lug. What might be worn? With Pumkin Mountain apparently closed who has the Fox parts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

16 gauge Fox rotating bolt will not be easy to find---although the 12 and 16 locking bolts may be the same outside diameter, I doubt it. A Fox 12 gauge rotating locking bolt is approximately .685" in outside diameter. I have had to make a Fox rotating cocking slide in the past and it is difficult to machine the rear pivot inside the rotating locking bolt correctly to make the gun easy to open. Some times the top lever shaft will break and cause what you are seeing with your gun. I know that I have a 12 gauge Fox top lever in my Fox parts. I think I have some 12 Fox locking bolts in my old Fox "stuff" and I can send you one to try to make work if that is what you find is wrong--take the butt stock off and look at the top lever, the top lever extension and its spring/plunger to see what is wrong. Do you have a metal lathe?

Is your Fox an ejector gun?

Last edited by bushveld; 07/16/22 06:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taking the stock off a Fox is not as simple as most.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks, Kutter for explaining in detail what's happening.

And also, what's been mentioned, soft primers make it worse. Remington primers are harder and pretty much solved the problem with my early A12 Fox.

And it turns out that when the hammers are down in the fired position, I've measured the extension of the firing pin tips out from the standing breech with the barrels off. That distance is just about 0.060".

The same measurement on a 12 gauge Sterlingworth is about 0.050". That gun opens fine with Winchester and other soft primers.

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found proper Fox firing pin protrusion measurements to be the same as JB in the past. I was checking them to try to determine why I was getting light primer strikes on a particular brand of shells. The cause turned out to be in the shells themselves, not the guns.

Kutter, your detailed explanations and instructions are so well written and thought out that it makes me wonder if you have not been an instructor at some time. They are very much appreciated here.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bushveld, again thank you for your response. It is not an ejector, don't have metal lathe but that's not an issue. I'll strip it in a day or two and see if I can determine the problem. Again anyone out there, where are the Fox parts now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian Dudley in NY will know about specific Fox parts. Also Jay Schachter at VFI Guns -Grand Rapids, MI.

The recommendation to take the Fox carefully apart, with a smith -is excellent advice.
One can learn from a good gunsmith. Sometimes a good internal cleaning will fix the problem as crud or even a bit of rust
can cause problems in the action.

This is particularly valuable, as I own three AH Fox shotguns -all built in the teens or early 1920s.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.