April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Pwog, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

And don't forget the Belgian enterprising individuals(Rubber Plant owners, etc.), and their ruling sect, as they too are to blame for the situation in Afrika.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: bushveld
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen. All that is very fascinating. I did not know Bernard was so famous and influential barrel maker. I have a 20 gauge Gastinne Renette shotgun with Bernard barrels also, which I had posted in this forum a few years back.
What would you do with a gun like that? Would you undertake a complete restoration, refinishing the barrels, wood, etc.? or leave it as is? If it is all in good shape and the barrels are sound, would you enjoy shooting it, using light loads, (i.e. RST shells or similar?). which gun artists would you recommend?
BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Bill, is frankly beyond my ken. I shoot my guns. But this one is pretty neat, the only question being what would you shoot in it? With no proof marks, you can assume it was made for black-powder. I've always assumed low pressure modern shot-shells could be used in black powder guns but again...defer to the vast experience on this board. Whatever, it is quite an excellent purchase.

But at this point the chamber length itself is not clear and that is something I'd be interested in. We found references to chambers in French shotguns in the 1880's as long as 90mm (3.5"). And are you sure of the bore size? and barrel wall thickness?

Last edited by Argo44; 07/24/22 01:07 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I intent to hire the services of a well qualified gunsmith to evaluate the gun and answer all these questions. If it deemed worthy of shooting, I would only shoot it with light type shot loads, like RST shot shells. I am not looking to shot it extensively, but on a special occasion, it would be a wonderful experience. I would love for the forum members to recommend me some of the gunsmiths, wood finishers, and damascus/twist barrel refinishers whom they have great experience with using their services. Personally, I have used the services of Kirk Merrington and Gunter Pfrommer in the past, both with great results. I am just curious to find out given the fact of its origin (French), age, and type of this gun. BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see everyone else finally picked up what I'd forgotten (or maybe never knew): There was no Paris proofhouse prior to 1897.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salut Argo44
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20no/a%20neumann%20freres%20fr.htm

https://www.auction.fr/_fr/lot/a-beautiful-cased-pair-of-target-pistols-by-coirier-3111355

La maison Coirier (fondée sous l'appellation d'origine Marquis Coirier Suc. T et F) située au 4 Boulevard des Italiens à Paris fut fabriquant et détaillant d'armes fines depuis la fondation de leur fabrique collective et de leur atelier en 1848. La maison participa, entre autres, à l’exposition Universelle de Paris en 1855 et 1867 ainsi que celle de Londres en 1862.
https://www.naturabuy.fr/EXCELLENT-REVOLVER-380-PROCHE-DU-NEUF-item-3600305.html

A ma connaissance, le banc d'épreuve de Paris a ouvert en 1895. Avant, je doute fort que beaucoup de canonniers et fabricants d'armes descendaient à Saint-Etienne pour éprouver leur production.
Comme l'a dit Pierre Didier, en 1878 il y avait deux poids deux mesures : Paris et le reste de la France.

PS : WC doit aller pas trop mal. Il passe de temps en temps sur Passion la chasse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

>>Ein Dekret vom 7. November 1895 wemächtigate die Pariser Handelskammer gleichfalls eine Beschußanstalt zu gründen. Die Ausführungsbestimmungen, die denen von St. Etienne gleichlautend waren, wurden am 30. Juli 1897 veröffentlicht. <<

So yes you are most correct fab500. So it was a rules change in 1897 & the Paris Proof facility(le banc d'épreuve de Paris) opened its doors in 1895. I am still curious if it was in or close to Bernard's shop?

I am pleased to hear that „Bétail enlisé” is still galloping about......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BillK
I intent to hire the services of a well qualified gunsmith to evaluate the gun and answer all these questions. If it deemed worthy of shooting, I would only shoot it with light type shot loads, like RST shot shells. I am not looking to shot it extensively, but on a special occasion, it would be a wonderful experience. I would love for the forum members to recommend me some of the gunsmiths, wood finishers, and damascus/twist barrel refinishers whom they have great experience with using their services. Personally, I have used the services of Kirk Merrington and Gunter Pfrommer in the past, both with great results. I am just curious to find out given the fact of its origin (French), age, and type of this gun. BillK

Both Merrington and Pfrommer are excellent. From the French perspective it might be worthwhile for you to contact J.J. Perodeau about your lovely hammergun since he is French and he might be able to help you historically. JJ Perodeau, Gunmaker, Inc. 711S 263rd West Ave., Sand Springs, OK 74063

Last edited by bushveld; 07/24/22 03:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Merci comme d'habitude FAB.

Here is a translation of his post:

The firm of COIRIER (note spelling) (founded under the original name of Marquis Coirier Suc. T and F) situated at 4 Boulevard des Italiens in Paris made and finished fine arms from the foundation of their factory and workshop in 1848. The company participated in, among others, the Paris Universal Esposition in 1855 and in 1867 as well as London in 1862.

As far as I know, the Paris proof house opened in i1895. Before, I strongly doubt that a lot of barrel makers and arms makers went down to Saint-Entienne to have their products proofed. As Pierre Dider said, in 1878 there were two different weights and measures, those for Paris and those for the rest of France. (See the article posted above)

PS: Wildcattle is not doing too badly. He spends some time on Passion la Chasse (French gun chat website)

Translation from below:

This is the correct spelling (COIRIER). I haven't been able to find when Francis Marquis gave his workshop to Coirier.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/24/22 08:05 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://i.goopics.net/ofmu7y.jpg

C'est la bonne orthographe. Par contre, je n'ai pas trouvé quand Francis Marquis a cédé son atelier à Coirier.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.