March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Longknife, Der Ami, jcn, ksauers1, Jtplumb), 824 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

They will always be "Blues" to the folks that have lived here for a while. The term "Fool Hens" is apt at times and sporting shots can indeed be a challenge. Am planning on including a buddy's Ryman setter into the mix this year (hopefully, that will improve things a wee bit) but... I always limit my kill to just a couple of birds for a meal. They are white meat and quite good, so somewhat of an exotic I suppose. I do prefer ruffed grouse over blues but this should be a nice way to start the season. It's quite the haul up to the locations I'm considering, and it will includes the cost of overnight accommodations. That, combined with the currently high fuel costs of such a trip, makes me a bit more deliberate about signing up for it all anymore. Doves are way-less trouble.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/01/22 12:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many more trips up the mountain do you think you might have?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have long wished I had a video camera in September 1974 to film an Air Force half-colonel I shot skeet with in Alaska, running across the tundra trying to get a covey of Ptarmigan to fly while carrying his engraved and gold inlayed Model 12 20-gauge!!

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

CZ: many more (God willing!). The haul I was referring to is the 4-plus hour ride, one way, to the hotel that will be the base of operations for this little adventure. Sadly, I'm finding myself doing a cost-benefit analysis on most of my extracurricular activities these days. My expenses seem to keep mounting and my income ( & investments) are not keeping up. While an elk is a significant protein windfall, two or three birds and a few fish isn't quite the same deal.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/01/22 04:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That’s unfortunate.

We don’t have forever.

Every year that passes, hunting above 8000 feet gets harder.

I’d find someone in the same boat to split costs with before I hung it up.

A year at 60 is different than a year at 65.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Researcher]Fifty-two years ago, when I was going to school at Lowry AFB, Colorado was a hunting and fishing paradise. We got out of school at noon and by 2 o'clock I would be on St Louis Creek catching Rainbows. When Dove season came in, I found a great spot on some game department land near Greely where a powerline crossed the South Platte and the Doves funneled along the powerline. Then Outdoor Life did an article on Sage Grouse which stated the best Sage Grouse hunting in the country was around Craig, Colorado. I was otherwise occupied opening weekend, but the next Friday I was at the sporting goods store in Craig just as the owner was locking up. He gave me a map of the local area which included the land owners and where to go to ask permission!

Have just come in from a scouting trip this morning. Hard to find a place to go now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is that an El Camino I see?

Speude Bradeos
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

CZ: 65 is this January and I'm finding exactly what you describe. I will be splitting the costs here as well but... I'm really just getting pulled in lots of directions these days and don't want to get overextended on any one thing, play included. No plans to hang anything up just yet, just trying to be practical about it (and old habits die hard).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/01/22 05:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aging out is a tough reality.

I’ve watched everyone I’ve traipsed the country with age out over the last few years.

Always the same pattern.

Good luck, and I hope you get to embrace your opportunity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1970 El Camino, small V8, "three on the tree" and "dog dish" hub caps. Here with my first two Colorado pheasants. Season opened at noon and these two were from my first walk.

After these two I crossed the road and walked down another brushy fence row. Got up a rooster that went low and shot over him. Walked fifty or sixty yards farther and got up another rooster and was back in the El Camino heading back to the city by a 1:30 pm.

Here are some of the Greeley area Doves --

I hunted ducks in some flooded timber around a reservoir not far from Denver, but apparently never took a picture.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Researcher: Would that be Barr Lake perhaps?

CZ: aging out is inevitable. I would think the key to forestalling it would be staying fit, which means controlling your appetite(s) for all the usual problematic things (booze, food, sex, drugs, etc.). Voting conservatively would hopefully help here as well, but at-least taking responsibility for your own outcomes would be the first step. Hunting (& fishing) are my yardsticks for competency. If I can't do those things well, then I've got way-bigger problems elsewhere. My present challenge is watching the prices for everything I use go through the roof. Blowing several days & $550 worth of gas/food/hotels and licenses to get 3 birds and 2 fish is becoming a little hard for me to justify at the moment. If my investments weren't tanking right alongside all of that I might be less concerned, but things are a damn mess everywhere I look these days. I'll likely go just to distract myself for a few days but...you can only ignore this stuff for so long.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/02/22 02:12 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.