March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
A year at 60 is different than a year at 65.

Different, but not necessarily better. Young (in years) isn't everything.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not discounting wisdom Stan, but I wouldn't mind a do-over of 60 again, or even 55. Energy and ambition are pretty wonderful things.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that, Lloyd, but maybe from a different perspective. At 70 I am feeling better each day. I press ahead joyfully, constraining myself to eat right and exercise each day almost to the point of exhaustion, to attain the goal of reaching 100 in condition to shoot doves and enjoy it. It's work, it's not easy, but it can be done. I may not reach that goal but, I'm convinced I can. I have farmed for over 50 years, but have enjoyed the last year of it as much or more as I have any year in the last 50. It's a state of mind, honestly.

Push hard, don't take the doc's recommendations to go on blood pressure medicine, or other "senior citizen's meds" until you have exhausted every other avenue. The only prescription meds I take are eye drops for glaucoma, in my right eye (my shooting eye wink ). Doc told me recently, concerning my exercise regime, that he never saw anybody who hated to take medicine any more than me. You're are truly as young as you feel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know people 70 who want to be 100. I had four friends who made it to between 95 and 98, and, to a one, they didn’t want to live to be 100. They didn’t, either.

Sobering. My younger brother is now a diabetic amputee, with diabetes that is beginning to be resistant to his insulin and other meds. It would be hell on earth to live to be 100 in the condition he is in now.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fall Creek: It really is getting harder to find a place to go here, to either hunt or fish. What used to be so-easy simply isn't anymore. A 4th Turning perhaps? Colorado is in a tough spot these days. Crowded & stupid is no way to go through life, eh?

Ted: "As you sow, so shall you reap" really starts to mean something in your 50s and 60s. I've slacked-off my exercises since being back in Pennsylvania for that funeral and I'm really feeling it now. Too-much strong drink and fatty foods is a dangerous trap that many fall into. We're also now contemplating a small home back there to be nearby to family, which has me badly distracted. Trying times indeed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting up some Blues and then recover while casting to grayling..... Way to go LLyod, that sounds like fun. Hope you take advantage and enjoy the opportunity. A light double with a pack rod, fly reel and some flies in your game bag shouldn't weigh you down too much.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, 25 mill acres +/- of public land and can’t find or afford a place to go. Have alluded to this before but 3 heart attacks have removed from consideration all the high country leaving the high plains that are overwhelmingly privately owned and drought devastated. Factoring in “stupid” as you’ve mentioned and a fellow could get discouraged. And that’s not even considering the terrible air pollution from smoke and other pollutants which affect my eyes to the point I can’t shoot clays most days in the summer.

We’ve talked about a move back to the Midwest but not sure I’m up to another move and anyway I’m not leaving the grandkids so …

I’m doing what I’ve done for decades - adjust and advance - but it’s getting harder.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I will be camping up near Joe Wright on Tuesday and Wednesday next week with my 8 year old grandson.
We will probably fish spinners for cutts, and leave the grayling to dry fly enthusiasts. I will take the canoe but a 58lb Old Town Camper gets harder and harder to carry every year. Good luck on your hunt. Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Too-much strong drink and fatty foods is a dangerous trap that many fall into.

Both of which can lead to the most dreaded result of all, for me ......... having a stroke. I push myself with cardio-exercise so that I don't have to go on blood pressure meds. I will if it gets to the point that I can't keep my b.p. at safe levels with diet and exercise but, it's a last resort and I'll fight it as long as I can.

Make yourself get back into your exercise routine, Lloyd. It's worth it. I believe it's good for the mind as well as the body.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LP: I know Joe Wright is the more-generally known grayling lake here in Colorado but I'm headed quite a bit further west. I had heard about Joe Wright when I was moose hunting in the Colorado state Forrest several years ago now (20?). I hope you and your grandson have a great time!

Stan: You're absolutely right, I just need to get on with things here. It's been fairly chaotic this summer and I've let that chaos overwhelm me. Once I get back into anything resembling a routine, it's back on the treadmill (figuratively) for me.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/05/22 10:23 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.