April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Bob Blair, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Stan. No, Guy Davies, their fellow at the H&H store in Dallas handled it for me. Guy used to run their NYC store for a while before moving to Dallas 20 or more years ago. Really nice guy.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
For reference:

Jostam HyGun - 7.1 oz.

Hawkins Repro Straight slots - 7.2 oz.

Hawkins Repro Trestle (hearts) - 5.7 oz.

Hawkins Original Trestle (hearts) - 5.5 0z.

Jostam No-Kick Coming - 3.7 oz.

Leather Kick Killer Lace-on (Large) 4.8 oz.

I have several Silver brand pads on hand but haven't weighed any of them yet.

Note that these are out-of-box weights and that much of it will be lost due to grinding down to fit.

IMO, anyone who worries over changing the balance significantly by adding a properly fitted pad needs a shrink, and shooting lessons, and is likely a trapshooter.

Perhaps I am a little balance obsessive. That said, Testing with my Holts gun balance adding 1/2 ounce to the butt of my gun it moves CoB 1/10 of an inch. The pad I removed from that gun after I brought it, weighs 4.7 oz. It’s replacement roughly 1.6 oz. So reducing the pad weight on the gun by more than 3 ounces moved the CoB more than 1/2 inch. On a gun that was muzzle light because of cut barrels it moved the CoB to about where it was when new, when compared against the maker’s records. I could feel the difference.

Last edited by old colonel; 08/04/22 07:28 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

OC, I don't argue that it changes things, a tiny bit. But, if you shoot the guns as much as you should your muscle memory takes over and it becomes non ipsum amet.

If I'm wrong, how can one explain "first times' a charm", when you shoot a gun for the first time and can't miss.

IMO, if you're obsessing over that minute a difference you're never going to shoot your best.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

flatlanders dont seem to appreciate the importance of gun balance and weight...

are there any other old time mountain hunters left here...if so, you know how a gun becomes heavier in the afternoon, after spending a morning hiking up an down the ridges, in pursuit of "old ruff"...where quick, instinctive snap shooting is the norm...no time to think about it...no leads here...its a game of point and shoot...either you are on the bird or you are not...with a light, balanced gun in your hands, you have a chance at hitting 'ruffus grousus rocketanus...

Last edited by ed good; 08/04/22 08:48 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
flatlanders dont seem to appreciate the importance of gun balance and weight...

You're gonna try condescension now, eh? Well, maybe you never heard of walking through briar patches and plum thickets for wild bobwhite all day, or the thick swampy tangles that woodcock often prefer here. There are other obstacles besides elevation that can tire a man. However, it is my opinion that most men today are not the men that their grandads and uncles were, physically. The preferred gun of choice down around here when I was growing up was an A5 Browning Sweet Sixteen ......... not exactly a light weight wand. And, they wouldn't dare make the excuse, for missing a shot on a flush, that their gun was imbalanced or too heavy.

Blame everything but yourself, eddy. That's your way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"ruffus grousus rocket-anus"?? So, you mean a partridge with a bottle rocket up its ass?"" Interesting indeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the repo Noshoc Galazan had. Or use to. Just for adding length.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and then there are light weight slip on leather pads...

https://www.orvis.com/leather-recoi...4577541788648911&utm_content=Hunting

they are handy for early season use, when it is warm and one can be comfortable wearing just a tee shirt and safety vest...later on, when it gets cold and one wears more clothing, then, the slip on pad is put away until next fall...grouse guns are about length of pull, weight, balance and magic...

Last edited by ed good; 08/05/22 08:53 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stanton, I see your point. I know guys who can shoot a round of skeet with a 28in M101 then switch to someone’s 24in Citori upland special and get equally good scores. My Dad could do stuff like that. I am not that guy, never will be.

Your ability to tolerate the variables and hit does you credit.

I agree with you that I am obsessive about balance, and much much more than is worth listing now.

That said when I go down a gun table and lift six or twelve different guns to shoulder when I feel what I like, experience has shown me I will shoot it well.

Once I started messing with fit it really changed my shooting for the better.

Last edited by old colonel; 08/05/22 10:23 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
Once I started messing with fit it really changed my shooting for the better.

Amen, brother. Proper fit is huge. An ounce here or there, not so much ....... for me.

Shoot well, my friend.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.