April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 391 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reloading 2 1/2" is quite simple to the point I don't even bother with 2 3/4 for those so chambered. Lots of good info here. One thing about roll crimps which I use for waterfowl and predator loads is that they are pretty much a onetime deal as the mouth of the hull is damaged enough that crimping it again is difficult without spending time trying to reform them, which makes usually free (from trap range dumpster) very attractive for roll crimping. Fold crimp shells can be re-used quite often.

Roll crimped waterfowl loads in Euro hulls cut to 2 1/2"
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

As for brass re-sizing the Mec 600 will re-size the brass part of the hull but not the rim. Numerous reloads will increase the size of the rim especially if you set the sizing ring on the Mec too deep and pancake the rim. A Mec Super Sizer or a Mec 700 with the Super Sizer built in will solve the problem. I will say that it was 50 yrs of reloading shotshells before I invested in a Super Sizer and there were times before the Super Sizer that I bought shot by the ton. My wife and I were shooting leagues five nights a week and tournaments on the weekend.

Short shell kit on a Mec 600, If your handy they can be easily made at home but are cheap enough that I find it easier to buy them. The black plate on the base to the left of the post.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by oskar; 08/05/22 10:26 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chantry limited ( I hope) his watching TV while trimming hulls. Watching TV, chatting with a buddy, or listening to a game on the radio while reloading, especially weighing powder, is a surefire way to double load or worse and screw the pooch and pay a bad price. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too trim hulls for shot shells, even prep brass for my rifles in the living room in front of the TV, having face time with my wife or even sharing a scotch with her. Any par of reloading that I can do outside of the loading room I do. These are idiot jobs that you can hardly screw up but doing them in the presence of my wife keeps her happy as I'm not spending ALL my time in the shop.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Chantry limited ( I hope) his watching TV while trimming hulls. Watching TV, chatting with a buddy, or listening to a game on the radio while reloading, especially weighing powder, is a surefire way to double load or worse and screw the pooch and pay a bad price. Gil

I only watch TV when trimming the hulls and double charging on a Lee Load All is difficult to do and very obvious when done (you get powder and shot mixed together).

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
1 member likes this: GLS
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of shotshell reloading! It can be a lot of fun and a lot of trial and error. Couple of suggestions.

First, BPI has some nice products, but stay away from their manuals. The data they published can be very sketchy. Stick to Lymans 5th or the powder manufactures load data. They have been tested. BPI is done using a computer program IIRC.

Second, if you want some great info on reloading here's the place to go to:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/forums/shotshell-reloading.13/

Tons of great info and folks who will help you out.

Third, you can shoot 2 3/4" in a 2 1/2" chamber. Sherman Bell has done extensive testing in his articles, "Finding Out For Myself" published in the DG Journal. Do a search on this forum or Google it.

Good luck, have fun and take your time!

Best Wishes on your success

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the input gents!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.