March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Borderbill, damascus, Jason Dubois, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blonds, Brunetts, Redheads, different flavors for different people. We have all seen problem guns, if you have been shooting long enough and problem hair colors as well. Some of the entry level guns do as well or better than the more expensive ones. I had a Mossberg 500 which has had over 50,000 shells shot through it, with no mechanical issues so far. Only part repaired was a cracked butt stock which got cracked when I lent it to a friend, who fell and cracked it. A little Acraglas has held for the last 40 years. Or the Crescent .410 double my late uncle used for his entire life. That gun has killed enough quail to fill a six wheel truck, untold numbers of dove and more hawks than I like to think about. But when I was a kid every farmer killed every small hawk they could as a matter of principle. In fact if you were hunting as a guest and failed to shoot a hawk you had better have a good reason for not doing so.

John's love affair with Miroku I think comes from that being one of his earliest guns, which he fell in love with. He had a good example and still loves it. His videos are enjoyable to watch and give more than a little bit of information. He did a series about the year of a game keeper which explains how driven birds are raised, released and shot. It is a lot of work and involves a lot of money to get good flying birds ready for the shoots.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If people wanted absolute reliability in o/u’s(and SxS’s)they’d adopt the snap action underlever concept, that would also act to cock the hammers. The action bodies would be stronger, easier to manufacture, easier to time, and have a much longer wear window. This would also allow for the firing pins to be less angled, which only has benefits. The actions would be ambidextrous, only difference would be the stocks; cast-off for right handlers, and cast-on for wrong handers. Bonus points if we are talking a striker fired concept with sear override lockwork.

I dont think Miroku does this.

But people just had to have the top lever…

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by gunmaker
If people wanted absolute reliability in o/u’s(and SxS’s)they’d adopt the snap action underlever concept, that would also act to cock the hammers. The action bodies would be stronger, easier to manufacture, easier to time, and have a much longer wear window. This would also allow for the firing pins to be less angled, which only has benefits. The actions would be ambidextrous, only difference would be the stocks; cast-off for right handlers, and cast-on for wrong handers. Bonus points if we are talking a striker fired concept with sear override lockwork.

I dont think Miroku does this.

But people just had to have the top lever…

Some of the first and earliest breech loading “automatic” or hammerless actions were designed exactly like this.
More “modern” versions of the action would be the Manufrance Ideal, Thomas Woodward Spiral spring, etc. I like them, for pretty much the exact same reasons you seem to. With that said……I believe the masses had spoken, pretty much all of the makers agreed with them…and the top lever was made the standard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Nothing stops a properly set-up A-5, Nothing. RWTF

Except maybe a steel head Euro-shell. Or a cracked forend. Or the spring steel band on the friction piece rotating around all by itself and pinching off the slot.

I have five of these things and as much as I enjoy them all five are finicky in one way or another.

Originally Posted by AGS
[quote=GLS]...when the bolt unexpectedly rotates out of battery? The "Benelli Click".

It won't do that by itself. A clever operator, of course, can induce this by pulling the handle back allowing the bolt to rotate out of battery and then ease it forward slowly enough for it to not lock. A single drop of oil between the bolt body and the bolt head keeps a Benelli running for a long time provided you chose shells with a recoil impulse appropriate to the model. Tip: A SBE is not a very good selection as a target gun.

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
A new out-of-the-box browning sporting clays model, will run about 40,000 rounds before it needs rejoining.
A Browning shop can change the worn parts, and get it back to you in a day.

Complete fantasy. There are 'Authorized Browning Repair Centers' that are completely incompetent. A single day turn around from the ONE I know capable of doing the work (Arnold) is laughable. My brother sent his Cynergy to an Authorized Browning place in Oregon where it sat for 6 weeks. They returned it, unfixed, because they lacked the necessary skill and charged him $80 plus shipping for the marvelous service. The gun then went to Arnold, and came back in 2 months or so fixed but with the triggers at the lawyer mandated 6.5 pounds. Browning service in general sucks.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

“Target Gun” is about the only use I have found for the SBE 1 that my Father left to me. My son shoots trap with it. He loves to shoot with Grandpas gun, and he only has to shoot once.

Someday, he will go pheasant hunting with me, when the weather is nice, and his friends are all busy, and there is no mountain biking that needs to be done ( he isn’t a meat eater, by and large) and he might need a second shot.

He might get it.

Might not. Oblivious, until then.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Benellis do suck. I’ve owned 2. A M1 Super 90 and a SBE. Both bought at the same time, in the early 2000’s, brand new. I read the hype, and bought into them hook line and sinker. Benelli click is real, and it’s one of the most irritating & aggravating shotgun problems I’ve ever encountered. Those two guns messed up more hunts than I’d care to admit to. They are the Chauchat of shotguns. Over hyped & over priced junk. After a year of continuous disappointment, I sold them back to the same shop I bought them from (Scheels-Omaha) and bought a Winchester super X2. Have never looked back. That X2 has been serious waterfowling for its entire life…from the Platte River, Rainwater basins, cut corn fields, Mississippi River, Kenai peninsula, Utah salt marshes, Idaho mud & silt, etc.
it has never failed. I bet a Benelli has dreams about being as reliable as that clapped out X2. Funny thing was, Scheels sold those two junk Benelli’s pretty much the same day I sold them back to them. I’ve always felt sorry for the poor saps that bought them.
I’ve got a Beretta 390 that I’d say is about as good as the X2. Basically I’d take pretty much anything over a Benelli.

A-5’s are rock solid. Always have been. Especially when the operator knows how to clean it and set it up. I’ve never owned a dud A-5. Ever. Over lube it, problems. Oil the mag tube, problems. Over tighten the forend cap, problems. Don’t do these things…..it’s as reliable as a ma’ deuce.

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Can’t say I’ve been a fan of Benelli either. From first hand experience of multiple Benellis turning into single shots on a hunt, all owned and maintained by different people. To well known cycling issues that are resolved by installing aftermarket sure-cycle kits. To the Benelli click from accidentally setting the gun down too hard on its butt, or brushing the bolt handle on brush or the blind while bringing the gun up to shoulder. POI relative to POA issues, noted by many authors. I’ll pass on rotary bolt shotguns.

A5’s have their issues as well, but I’d regard them to be much more reliable than a Benelli.

Beretta 390’s we’re great, as were 391’s. The carrier issue was easily resolved on some 391’s.

A late Super X 1 is my favorite clay semi, especially with aftermarket SS parts. SX2 and SX3 are great guns, aside from the rare occurrence of the spring in the piston failing.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Geo. Newbern
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For reliability I’ll take my Beretta 303s over anything.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having read all the foregoing comments, I am motivated to say how much I prefer my Parker original and Parker repro shotguns.

The ONLY problem that I ever had was with a brand new 12 ga Repro because the action fit so tight that I had to shoot some cheap aluminum base shells to break it in so it could shoot better ammo.

All are now well broken in and have no problems.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How smart do you have to be to buy two unreliable guns ?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.