March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Presuming a number of items here, but barring any major political or financial (or personal) crises... have you planned for an end game here? That last shotgun (or rifle, or handgun) that you'll hunt with to the end? I have a pretty good idea what I'll be using when my number's up, but what makes the best sense in that arena? A commonly available gauge or something you'll have to load for. I'm suspecting a sub-gauge gun for many of us here (20 or 28), but pehaps I've overlooked something?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/16/22 06:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A double Hammergun with either an Austrian or German heritage,, probably in 24 bore??? But I cannot rule out a French one(tip of the hat to Argo44).

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: 12boreman
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can go half way out on this limb. It will be a 16.

But I’ll have to get back to you on which Ithaca 16. 😉

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 08/16/22 06:39 PM.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
I hear you, and completely understand. As I begin to age out at 75, light weight, good handling and open chokes work for me. My 12 ga. 2 1/2 chambered Churchill with .003 /.11 chokes is probably the last one standing for me.
But, here's hoping I'm wrong!
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

1 member likes this: Rubberhead
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Hoffman 12 bore

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 16ga for me!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just as I can not pick out just one offspring to favor, I doubt I will just pick just one gun. On the short list will be my Winchester Pigeon grade model 42, my Christmas gift when I was 12, a Winchester Model 12, 28 ga. Skeet gun, for long range dove a Pape 20 bore hammer gun with 30" barrels I shoot really well and for duck and geese whatever 12 bore double, perhaps a Lang 3" 30" barrels, or G.E. Lewis 3" wild-fowling double. My real problem is I like to shoot too many vastly different things. If I was restricted to just dove, the 42 would get the nod, or a 42 as there are others sitting, waiting their turn. If it were just ducks any 12 bore double from about ten choices could be a easy choice. Too many choices, too many reasons.

The Winchester Model 12 , 28 gauge would be the last gun I sell. That gun has been a faithful friend, for hunting and shooting in general, for over fifty years. It has taken more dove, quail and ducks than any other gun I have owned. I'll never have another hundred duck season and that gun has given me multiple years. The 42's might equal the dove numbers, given another decade or two, but I learned how to shoot wild quail with that 28. Wild quail are for the most part, a thing of the past, such a sad thing. I no longer hunt quail on any of my farms. It just holds so many memories. My first true double on a quail covey flush, shooting next to my uncle, who took a pair with his Crescent .410 and watching Red the Setter bring back all four birds. He was not a great retriever but that time he was flawless. I could have shot a third bird but I was content, perhaps for the first time in my hunting life. No, the 28 is not for sale. I hope it gives one of my sons or grandsons as much joy as it did for me.

2 members like this: FallCreekFan, Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to decide but I suspect it’ll be either my Parker 12 DH damascus on a #1 frame and 6 1/2 lbs and 28” barrels or a Lefever 12 GH with 28” damascus. Both are dear friends and I’ve often thought they don’t need me for anything else than to carry them into the field. Untold numbers of wild bobs have fallen to them. No need for small bores, I just load light. But a close runner up would be a Lefever 16 DS with 26”. It is a bird killing machine!

Last edited by Joe Wood; 08/15/22 10:56 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kinda’ depends how far you make it, doesn’t it?

I used to see an old guy on sunny weekdays, in Pine County, MN. He was in his 90s. He walked a logging road, actually a segment of the Munger trail. He might have made it a mile in and back. He used a .410 single shot to pot Grouse. Told me he hadn’t shot a Grouse on the wing in a long, long time. He was good with that. He had owned many different guns.They were all gone. He outlived every family member he ever had. To say he loved petting my dog was an understatement. I let him handle my Remington model 17 once, it was a bit much for him.
I was good with him ground swatting them, too. It was a day brightener to run into him.The old guy fought like hell to keep his pickup and his .410 at the old people’s warehouse he lived in. He didn’t seem to need assistance, maybe they called him in the morning, but, he told me he just fried the Grouse breasts and legs, and got dinner and lunch out of one. If he was cooking them, I figured he didn’t need much help.

I’ve got 20 and 28 gauge V19s at the moment, both less than 6lbs. That is the lightest version of a Darne, in very general terms. Tough witches to shoot well in the best of times, and my eye injury has insured these are not my best times.

There are times I want to be that old guy in the woods with his last gun that he can manage. But, I’m guessing his life was lonely and hard toward the end. Every person I ever knew who lived that long (I’m between any friends in their 90s at the moment) was having a struggle, often a difficult, daily struggle.

I haven’t seen him in a long time. Doubt I will.

Best,
Ted

4 members like this: FallCreekFan, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, LeFusil
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
We all get there so to speak, It's important to me how I get there!
Karl

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.