March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brevex #12 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom - "one-of-a-kind" - unknown caliber

I've posted this on several Forums hoping to get some answers.

Hello All,

I finally found another Brevex Mauser rifle. This makes an even dozen in my Brevex Collection.

I listed it as an "unknown" caliber .. I should have said "un-heard-of" caliber. Its a Fred Wells Custom Brevex Mauser in a caliber I never heard of, nor can I find any info about it. .. anywhere!

Here are the rifle's specs:

Maker = Fred Wells Custom
Action = Brevex Magnum Mauser
Caliber = 411 Wells Exp
Weight = 12-1/4 lbs (loaded)
Barrel = 25-1/8" A&M Barrel w/ barrel mounted Sling swivel (no sights)
LOP = 15"
Stock = Custom "uncheckered" w/ forward recoil lug (unknown wood) w/ checkered metal grip cap
Scope = 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 in Wells Custom Mounts w/ Low Profile Safety
Trigger = Mauser 2-Stage Trigger
Recoil Pad = Pachmayr Solid w/ Black and White Line spacer

Fortunately the rifle came with dies, and brass, and bullets. Bullets are Woodleigh .411 dia 400g Soft Points and Barnes .411 dia 300g Soft Points. Brass is 378 Weatherby Mag resized. Dies are RCBS labeled 405-378.

I've seen rifles chambered in 350 Wells Exp (basically a 378 Weatherby Mag necked down to .350 caliber) This one is 378 Weatherby Mag necked "up" to .411 caliber.

Searching high and low in all my wildcat books (I have many) I cannot find any such caliber. Its basically a forerunner of the 416 Weatherby Mag, except using a slightly .005" smaller diameter bullet, with standard neck and shoulder profile.

In addition, I know nothing about wood, so the stock is also a mystery to me. Its a very dense "reddish" color with distinctive darker stripes of grain. (pictures don't show the reddish color very well because the camera flash washes out the true color) The wood color appears to be almost a rose wood, but its much denser and harder. This density likely accounts for the overall heavy weight of the rifle. (much appreciated when shooting) The stock has been left "uncheckered", perhaps to show-off the stripes in the grain.

Overall craftsmanship is what you would expect from an early Fred Wells rifle. Wood to metal fit is absolutely amazing. Not a sliver of space between them. All the screws are indexed "in-line". Even the screw in the checkered metal grip cap is indexed in-line, and its also tastefully engraved.

(a range report will follow)

Any insight on this rare bird would be appreciated. Here are the pictures: As always all your comments are most welcome.

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]
click to see the photo ...> http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/Picture%2000.jpg

Here are the family dozen ....

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]
click to see the photo ... > http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/brevex12.jpg

1 member likes this: Parabola
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting collection

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.cartridgecollector.net/410-wells-express

Une boite collector du fameux boitier.

[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Purely a WAG, but with that colour and density could the wood be Mahogany?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or Mesquite?

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish the images showed up for me? I have a neighbor who used to work for Fred and of course knew Fred and Rachel Wells quite well. But for whatever reason I can't see the images, or find a way to make them show.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello mc,
Thanks for the reply.

Hello fab500,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I found that post where someone else wanted info about the cartridge.

Hello Parabola,
Thanks for the reply.

The wood is too dense and too heavy to be Mahogany.

Hello relics6165,
Thanks for the reply.

Not Mesquite, too dark and reddish and too straight of grain. The 475 A&M has a Mesquite stock.

Hello Vall,
Thanks for the reply.

I added live links below the photos in my original post so that you can click to see them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

buckstix,
Could the stock be Rosewood? I have a Rosewood stock on a 338-06 Ackley Improved, I believe the blank came from Herter's many years ago.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Der Ami,
Thanks for the reply.

I think it may be rosewood. But I'm not sure. I need to find a wood expert to examine it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"updated"

Thanks for all the replies,

I have been able to contact the original owner of the rifle. He said he intended to go to Africa to hunt with the rifle, but political conflicts in Rhodesia at the time prevented his going. He told me the rifle was custom built for him / by him. He said he was actually an employee of Fred Wells at the time and did the stock work himself while so employed. The stock wood was special ordered "Red Cocobolo". He also said there was a 400 Wells Express caliber at the time and that it used .411 bullets. He liked the caliber but said he used "411" in the caliber name on his rifle so as to be sure it was identified as a 411 caliber, and not confused as .400 caliber. He also said he sent a fire-formed case to RCBS to have dies custom made, and that RCBS marked the dies 405-378 ... because the 405 Winchester cartridge used a .411 dia bullet. So I guess, this is in fact a "one of a kind cartridge". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.405_Winchester

Last edited by buckstix; 09/04/22 09:20 AM. Reason: updated info

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.