April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (eeb, Jimmy W, SKB, dogon, Bob Blair), 391 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a neat 19th Century Color Lithograph of a Hunting Scene Advertising Eley’s Sporting Ammunition that I picked up at the last Holts auction.

It is one of the few Posters like this I have come across that prominently mentions pinfire cartridges (my specialty).

I wrote a little article on it and talk about some interesting aspects of their catalog listing that is printed on the back.

https://aaronnewcomer.com/a-19th-ce...e-advertising-eleys-sporting-ammunition/

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
3 members like this: mc, liverwort, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It’s deja vu all over again!

AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for that reference! I bought a copy. (Edit: Looks like this Eley one is slightly different though past the first glance. I wonder if he created it just for the poster many years later?)

Apparently there is a whole website dedicated to this artist! They describe him as
arguably Britain’s pre-eminent animal artist of the 19th Century, whose career spanned more than six decades.

https://harrisonweir.com/

Last edited by AaronN; 08/24/22 10:22 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice, thanks!

Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the same initial response, "deja vu". But, as I looked more, the differences between the two litho's, are substantial. The poses of the gunners (and dogs), the landscape in the background, and the distinction (or lack) between foreground, middle ground, and background (note the transition from corp to heath in the B&W). The understanding and presentation of the dogs' anatomy is also quite different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aaron, thanks for your Eley pictures and the address to your fine article. I wondered about the foliage the dogs were hunting in in each illustration. Unlike anything I hunt in. I have heard of heather, so could that be it ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heather is a whipsy type grass like fescue. The images look like they're hunting in a cabbage patch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Crop is called generically Roots. Typically Turnips, Mangelwurzels, Sugar Beets, Rutabagas or occasionally Parsnips. The cycle went like this, allow the cattle to graze the tops off before frost kill Then lift them, cart them back to the home farm, store them, often in mounds with a covering of earth to prevent frost damage [clamping]. Dig out what you needed and feed to the yarded cattle as needed. Part of Turnip Townshends four crop rotation.
I love the look of wide eyed terror in the Eley Dogs eyes, must have realized they'd pointed a cobra!

Last edited by Hugh Lomas; 08/25/22 12:12 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of Townshend and number in crop rotation

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that in the earlier thread the consensus was that it was most likely to be Turnips.

Last edited by Parabola; 08/25/22 01:13 PM.
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You can see the vegetables in the very bottom of the scene below the partridges. They seem pretty big so I would go with rutabagas over the other options presented.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.