April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Picked up my first Robert Breechloading Shotgun recently and then went on a documentation shopping spree!

One of the cooler books is the Guide et Hygiène des Chasseurs by The Count of LANGEL

It has a really beautiful, full-page, color ad for the Robert gun:

I wrote a little blurb about the book and have more pictures here:

https://aaronnewcomer.com/a-treatise-on-the-robert-rifle-by-the-count-of-langel/

Last edited by AaronN; 08/31/22 09:37 PM.

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. And great pics.

What's the timeframe on your Roberts? What do the shells look like?

Wasn't there a french maker named "Pauly" who had a similar design?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by obsessed-with-doubles
What's the timeframe on your Roberts? What do the shells look like?

This is early to mid 1830s. It follows his 1831 patent but is the later style he made that starts showing up in literature around 1834.

It took a paper shell with a heavier cardboard/wood bottom that a tube primer stuck out of. The underhammers would then smash the tube.

I picture one of them here:
https://aaronnewcomer.com/journal-des-armes-speciales-and-the-battle-of-robert-vs-lefaucheux/

Originally Posted by obsessed-with-doubles
Wasn't there a french maker named "Pauly" who had a similar design?

And yes, Robert heavily pulls from Pauly's design and there were even lawsuits between him and makers of Pauly guns (after the Pauly patent had expired). Robert actually made comments about Lefaucheux's guns during one of these proceedings saying something along the lines of: "The Lefaucheux gun had a complicated system that lends itself to bursting open and launching the cartridge into the shooter's face, if the closure piece is damaged missing."

Lefaucheux and other gunmakers of the day took offense to this characterization and responded with:

Dear Editor,
According to the Gazette des Tribunaux of yesterday, Mr. Robert staging, in a trial which is personal to him, the gun who bears my name, would have claimed that in the event of a break of one of the two screws beyond the rocker, this weapon offered dangers of which he made a frightening picture. Allow me to invoke against this assertion, at least inaccurate, the testimony recorded in all the newspapers in the months of April and May last, of the experiments made at Renette shooting, then at Rouen and Le Havre, and in which the hinge screw and that of action were successively and deliberately removed or broken, without the firing of the weapon having even been disturbed. Moreover, Sir, to put the public in a position to to judge in full knowledge of the rifle-Robert and the rifle Lefaucheux, I have just proposed to Mr. Robert, in my name and in that of Mr. Baucheron-Permet, Prelat, Lefaure, Delebourse and Deboubert, all well-known arquebusiers in Paris, a public and comparative test of the two systems, results which we accept as judges the very members of the Academy of Industry who conferred on M. Robert a gold medal.

This challenge and its 70 pages of results is then documented in the book that I linked just above!

Journal Des Armes Spéciales and the Battle of Robert vs Lefaucheux

[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

Less than a year later Lefaucheux would patent the pinfire cartridge to work with this new breech-loading design of his and as history shows would clearly become the winner.

Last edited by AaronN; 09/01/22 10:33 AM.

AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There was also an underhammer pinfire version of this gun (maybe modified) that took a weird shaped pinfire cartridge (to fit in the openings of this gun) made by Chaudun who made the earlier cartridges and then took over ownership of the guns as well around 1839 or so.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.